Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Can anyone answer my question please...?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lynn

Lynn Report 20 Jan 2009 20:37

When searching on Ancestry and finding Soldiers Died in the Great War, why are there not also the soldiers enlistment and other records to see? Were they given to the relatives at the time or were the records destroyed along with the soldier? Would appreciate some info on this as I seem to have one branch of the family who were almost all killed. Thankyou.

Lynn

Lynn Report 20 Jan 2009 21:39

Yes Alice, I have just found out that a high percentage of the soldiers records were kept in Walworth, Southwark, London. Unfortunately, the building they were kept in was bombed and so a lot were lost. Not only did we lose our relatives, we lost any record of their valiant fight for our country. So sad...

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 20 Jan 2009 21:52

Don't forget that not all surviving papers are on Ancestry yet - service records for those with surnames beginning with N-Z still have to be uploaded.

Lynn

Lynn Report 21 Jan 2009 12:11

Thanks to you all for the info.
Annielaurie, do you know when the N-Z records will be becoming available? Lynn.

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 21 Jan 2009 14:57

I would imagine the remaining records will be online sometime this year, but don't know any more than that, sorry.

Alan

Alan Report 21 Jan 2009 15:20

What is the persons name,dob and place where born?