Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Perfect Easy Search gone wrong!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 20 Jan 2009 21:25

I was over the moon when my last search was proving very easy (compared to my previous ones) then it all goes wrong, any thoughts please.
Father: Samuel Charles 1832 marries Ann 1835 in 1853. They have children as follows: Samuel 1856, Charles 1859, Elizabeth 1860, Jane 1864, John 1868 and George 1877.
I have tracked them through every Census and everyone is present and correct, even when they become of age and fly the nest they have all been traceable up to and including 1891 Census which showed mum, dad, Emily & George the two youngest children still at home.
1901 Emily is married and husband shown as Head of household plus two children and mother in law "MARY"!!!
Emily's mother was Ann, did not have any middle names and never known as anything other than Ann.
Any thoughts anyone please.
Linda

(Sorry it's a bit long winded).

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 20 Jan 2009 21:29

Ann died and Samuel remarried.

Suzanne

Suzi-Wong

Suzi-Wong Report 20 Jan 2009 21:30

"Mary" was the head of household's Step mother.

Suzanne

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 20 Jan 2009 21:31

Maybe Emily's husband had a stepmother and he put her down as mother in law instead. Does the age and place of birth tie in with Emily's Mother Ann?

Linda

Linda Report 20 Jan 2009 21:34

Samuel died 1891 leaving Ann a widow and she is listed on 1901 census with the correct surname.

The dates all match exactly and George the youngest went to live with sister Jane and family.

mgnv

mgnv Report 20 Jan 2009 22:19

Since "in law" used to be used where we'ld use "step" today, I'll go along with Ann in Glos

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 20 Jan 2009 23:31

Another possibility, Emily's husband was previously married and Ann was the mother of his first wife.

Margaret

Linda

Linda Report 20 Jan 2009 23:37

Don't think they can be any of the suggestions because Mother in Law is listed as MARY .................... the surname being the same as Emilys maiden name.

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Jan 2009 00:50

If I'm following the right guy, hubby James did have a stepmum (Emma) and his actual mum was Mary Ann. However, I think what you're seeing is a brainfreeze on James part, and he just put down the wrong name.