Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911Ttranscript v Original

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eileen

Eileen Report 21 Jan 2009 10:37

Has anyone else found a between the transcripts and the original.

I looked at a transcript for my gt aunt to see if she had more children since 1901. It gave her occupation as seriant Manchester, i could not understand why after 27 yrs marriage and a house full of children she would be a seriant in Manchester.

So i used a further 30 credits to view the original it stated gt aunt was at home but her daughter was a SERVANT in Manchester.

Also there was 3 entries missing off the transcript that was on the original (not adults but school age children)

Eileen

Eileen

Eileen Report 21 Jan 2009 11:45

Know what you mean Percy
I have another ancestor says born Spolding Links
should be Spalding Linc's

Eileen

Julie

Julie Report 21 Jan 2009 19:37

The mistakes on the 1911 are awful, my Gt Grandfather was Laurie George Rayner he is down on the transcript as Louise George, 2 of my Husbands relations are also transcribed wrongly
Violet Leah Asbury is down as Leah Ashry and his Grandfather, Donald Clifford Faulkner is down as Donal Faulkner, not only that Donalds whole family are down under the surname Clare instead of Faulkner.

Gives me the impression this Census has not been throughly checked.

How are we supposed to find Relatives with all these mistakes.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 21 Jan 2009 19:58

I guess we'll just have to persevere and think outside the box like all the other census. (Persevere being the operative word when this site has prevented me from posting this three times now!)

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 21 Jan 2009 22:36

"I guess we'll just have to persevere and think outside the box like all the other census"

... the difference being, that this time we have to pay £3.60 every time we want to check their crappy transcription against the original document.

Caz

Caz Report 22 Jan 2009 01:31

I agree. The transcriptions are awful. I couldn't find my g-grandmother in the right area. I knew she was there because she married for the second time shortly after the census was taken. They had her surname transcribed as Rosa but when I looked at the original it clearly says Rose. I can understand such mistakes being made when the handwriting is poor but in this case the handwriting was very clear. They had also mistranscribed the surname of the brother she was living with and yet his name is perfectly clear on the original. I was lucky. I took a chance on the mistranscribed name and it paid off but how many people have not been so lucky?They are going to make a fortune out of us if we are going to have to pay to check the original everytime we search for someone. Was it just rushed perhaps and that's why there is so many mistakes? Or was it a very clever way of making the maximum amount of money out of it because they knew people were eager to get hold of it? I don't know but I hope they do a better job on the counties that are not available yet because that's where most of mine are lol.

Caz

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 22 Jan 2009 02:06

I don't think we should just live with it, I think we should complain. It is expensive to search and we are not getting value for money. To have a family called Faulkner transcribed as Clare is unacceptable.

My hubby's family were Weaver. Weaver on every previous census, though the father had a middle name of White as did his first child. The original of the census has all the family name xxxx White Weaver (with a clear space between the two names and a capital letter for each name). The whole lot have been transcribed as Whiteweaver. That cost me 40 credits. I submitted an error report, but nothing has been changed.

Even Scotlands People isn't this expensive and you do get more information.

I am not downloading any more originals till they alter their charges - and have told them so. I suggest everyone else does the same.

Margaret

Margaret

Margaretfinch

Margaretfinch Report 22 Jan 2009 09:20

I was very lucky I was lokking for a Minnie Durban she and the family were transcribed as Durham I took a chance and opened the image only to find it quite clearly said Durban'

Margaret

Joy

Joy Report 22 Jan 2009 11:40

If you see errors, please report them.

Julie

Julie Report 22 Jan 2009 12:29

I have sent error reports last Sunday, re, my Faulkners who were transcribed as Clare, also for my gt grandfather Laurie George who was transcribed as Louise George, but as yet have not seen anything change. I agree we should complain after all the Census info is given free of charge by our Ancestors, so why should they be allowed to charge exstortionate prices for it and then we get so many silly mistakes to boot.

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jan 2009 12:52

I found my grandfather shown as born in Broghton (should have been Brighton) and working for the Rogby Union (Rugby Union, obviously!). I followed their procedure to report errors, and they have just contacted me to say that the transcripts will be corrected.

I think its worth everyone reporting every error.

Rita

Rita Report 22 Jan 2009 13:29

Just to add my pennorth -

I saw the following two entries whilst searching which would flummox the most earnest reseaarcher

Christian name - Amry - which I bet is Mary, and

Christian name - Mrs. Pollie

Rita

PME

PME Report 22 Jan 2009 15:27

I think if you submit an error report (and its correct) you should be given some credits, as at the end of the day you are doing the double checking /proof reading they should have done in the first place.