Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Licensed Victualler

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 21 Jan 2009 11:32

Anyone know if there is a record of licensed victuallers from the 1940's on line anywhere?

Heather

Heather Report 21 Jan 2009 11:45

Wouldnt have thought so - but the local records office may have the application? Some areas have pubs listed on line with their landlords - so you could have a google using the pub name/area

Would add that licensed victuallers often left wills, so worth looking at that too.

Kate

Kate Report 21 Jan 2009 13:16

If you could get to the library local to the area (or maybe if you phone, even?) there might be town directories held there.

I went to Retford Library and found my great-grandad listed in the Retford Directory from 1928 until 1938, I think, as a licensed victualler. They might have something similar.

susiwong

susiwong Report 21 Jan 2009 13:58

usually find that a licensed victualler sold alcohol, as they had to have a court licence, but a victualler sold food. So as it's an inn she could have been in charge of the catering. A posh name for cook , lol. Victuals is actually an old name for food

Sue