Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Which Certificate is best??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Erika

Erika Report 21 Jan 2009 12:22

I've got as far as I get with records online and I think it's about time I order myself some certificates to confirm and further my findings.

Im starting with 2 relatives.... one born in 1900 and the other in 1932. Will B/C from 1900 give me parents name and birth?
Can anyone tell me the info I can get from a Birth, Marriage and Death certificate and which one they think is best.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Jan 2009 12:28

This little website explains the information that appears on each type of certificate.

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

You can't say which one is "best" as they each serve a different purpose.

PME

PME Report 21 Jan 2009 13:05

I think each cert has its own merits, its all down to what you want to know,

So far I have only ordered marriage and birth cerificates, but realised the death certs may also be helpful, I only have one of these which is a copy passed to me by a relative.

Birth cert you are told (earliest I have is 1866 at the moment),
Registration district, year, sub-district and what county its in
when and where born (so date and on the ones I have address born/parents living at)
First name(s)
Sex
Full name of father
Mothers name plus if married maiden name
Occupation of father
Signiture, description (of relationship to the child) and residence of informant (normally a parent, in my experiece the mother, but I have an aunt registering an relative)
Date of regiatration
Signature of registrar
Then the last box is name entered after registration, guess this is if they couldn't decide on a name before they had to register the birth.

Marriage (earliest I have is 1908)
Year, Marriage solemized at (church name or registery office) District/Parish and county
Date married
Names of those married
Ages (note quite a few people 'adjust' their age at marriage)
Condition (Bachelor, Spinister, widower etc)
Rank or profession (for both getting married)
Residence (so far have at least one relative that lied so they could get married at a certain church)
Fathers full name
Fathers Rank/Profession
Married at (all I have on this is district/parish church or registery office), according to the rites and cermonies of (gives religion of the church)
Signitures of those married
Signitures of witnesses
Signiture of minister/vicar/registrar

Death cert (earliest I have is 1985)
Registration district
Sub-district
Administrative area
Date and place of death
Name and Surname
Sex
Maiden surname of woman if married
Date and place of birth
Occupation and usual address
Name and surname of informant
Qualification (relationship to)
Usual address (of informant)
Cause of death
Declaration that the information to the best of their knowledge is true by the informant
Date of registration
Registrars signature.

Hope the information helps.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 21 Jan 2009 14:09

earlier marriage certs may just say "full age" or "minor" which does not always help!

Profession fields are usually blank for the brides in the older ones as well.

Sometimes the addresses can be very vague - just the village maybe, or even just an area of London.

Usually though the info is really worthwhile.

Jill