Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1901 census - who owned Hartwell House

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Veronica

Veronica Report 21 Jan 2009 16:26

I am trying to find Hartwell House, Wroxham on the 1901 census without much luck. It was built in 1897. My grandads sister margaret (Maude) Macdougall was apparently living there in 1917, she sent my grandad a postcard with her new address - I would suspect she was an employee and I would love to find out who owned the home - which is for sale at the moment for in excess of 1 million pounds.

How do I track down ownership?

If you respond please allow for the time difference between UK and Canada.

Veronica in Dundas, Ontario

Heather

Heather Report 21 Jan 2009 17:49

Heres some estate agents photos and a full sales brochure of it if you want them? Says built 1897. Looks fab with river frontage

http://media.rightmove.co.uk/10k/9583/9583_126811A_26811_DOC_01.pdf

Veronica

Veronica Report 21 Jan 2009 21:32

Thanks for the replies - It is a fabulous house I have already seen the pictures of it - makes me drool.

I was hoping that it would be possible to find some sort of listing of property deeds online by address.

I trolled through the Wroxham and surrounding Enumeration districts and like you found no house of that name.

Thanks

Veronica in snowy Dundas, Ontario

Pete

Pete Report 21 Jan 2009 23:25

The Historical Directories website has a directory for Norfolk for 1904 that lists the occupants of Hartwell as William Cooper-Brown.

The Cooper-Brown family are listed in the 1901 census for Wroxham, number on schedule 34, but the address is listed as The Avenue.

The transcription of Wroxham baptisms showns their youngest son Arthur Neville Cooper-Brown as being baptised in 1898. Parents address is listed as Hartwell.

See: http://www.genealogy.doun.org/transcriptions/documents.php?district_id=19&document_id=1267

The 1912 Kelly's directory lists a Miss King as residing at Hartwell.

Pete

Veronica

Veronica Report 22 Jan 2009 01:32

Pete

Many thanks for all that information its very helpful. I have also found a family connection in the area of Norwich with a brother in law of MArgaret (Maude) Macdougall called Ernest Watson who appears to be a solicitor in the area and my cousin in Scotland came up with some National Archive Records of land transactions in which he was involved as mortgage holder etc.

I guess I might splash out on some credits for 1911 Census to see who is living in the house at that time.

Veronica in Dundas, Ontario