Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

New to Genes Reunited....HELP!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jon

Jon Report 21 Jan 2009 18:13

Hi, i am new to this site and i have just signed up as a gold member. Is there any way i can do a more detailed search? Also is there a way i can find someone in my family if i only know the name of her mother? And can i print/ save the more recent birth certificates (the ones that don't open in a PDF)? A lot of questions, sorry. Thanks.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 22 Jan 2009 10:27

Nudge

PME

PME Report 22 Jan 2009 12:44

Read the tips for newbies thread.

You have to order certificates (www.gro.gov.uk) the BMD indexs provide minimal detail,although enough for you to order the certs you require.

If you ar trying to find someone and only know the mothers maiden name if you know the mother as married then you can look at the BMD indexs for possiable matches under the fathers surname and mothers maiden name, if not married the child may or may not have been registered under the mothers surname.

Genes just brings up the BMD reference pages your ancestor maybe on, it decides on the pages it brings up for you to look at by the first and last name on each page. The freebmd website does a more detailed search, although your ancestor may not come up, doesn't mean they are not there , just its not be transcribed yet as its done by volunteers and it takes a lot of time to transcribe all the records.

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 22 Jan 2009 12:55

Hi Jon

Beast thing to do is read the tips for newbies thread on this board!

But main things for using GR for help are:

Always say please and thank you
When you ask for help, give as much info as possible, however small
Never go too far away from your PC once you;ve asked something, people can be very quick to respond with answers or questions to enable them to help you
One thread = one topic. Don't put the same thread up on various boards. Use the tring to find for when you're trying to find someone. And use tht ips board, when you're struggling with something else

Think that's the basics covered.

Oh...you'd be surpised how much info you can find on goggle :D

Happy hunting :D