Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

IGI search/Baptism areas

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jan 2009 11:13

Following Olde Crone's excellent IGI tutorial for beginners, I have searched IGI as follows:

William Lewis (not the easiest name to pin down I know!)
Born c1805 at Boughrood, Radnor (now Powys)

The only result that comes up is for a baptism 14th July 1805 at Llandewi, Ystradenny, Radnor. According to Google maps, this is quite some distance from Boughrood, although in the same county. Boughrood is a very small village.

I would like to know how likely it would be for the baptism to take place that far away from the birthplace. On the other hand, is it likely that they were "chapel", and in that case would the baptism not appear in parish records?

Can anyone illuminate me please?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 22 Jan 2009 11:24

Some families liked to use a church which had a family link and would travel 'back home' for their baby's christening.
Some new mums went back to their parents for the confinement, so another reason why a baptism might not be where you'd expect.

Do you know anything about William's siblings?
Were there other children baptised there with the same parents, who you can link to your William.
This might give weight to you having possibly found the correct person, I'd want some helpful evidence to back such a common name in Wales.

Gwyn

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jan 2009 11:30

No, I don't know about any siblings, unfortunately. There is one sister shown on the IGI entry, christened in the same place. I hadn't thought about family connections though

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Jan 2009 11:38

You need parish records not submitted.

Record submitted after 1991 by a member of the LDS Church. No additional information is available. Ancestral File may list the same family and the submitter.

Thelma

Thelma Report 22 Jan 2009 11:43

Parish records on line.

Boughrood
C057621 1813-1847 M057621 1813-1845

mgnv

mgnv Report 22 Jan 2009 12:19

Check on Boughrood in Lewis:
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.aspx?pubid=371
We learn that it's a parish, but also "There is a place of worship for Primitive Methodists"

Hugh Wallis lists: C057621 1813-1847 M057621 1813-1845 so the IGI extracts don't go back far enough.

From the IGI search page, select home in the blue bar at top, and find an FHC in the centre column.
Next select Library - library catalog in the blue bar and do a place search for Boughrood:

Drill down, and use the "view film notes" button at top right when it shows up

Topic Wales, Radnor, Boughrood - Church records
Titles Bishop's transcripts, 1687-1847 Church in Wales. Parish Church of Boughrood (Radnorshire)
Marriage bonds and allegations, 1680-1867 Church in Wales. Parish Church of Boughrood (Radnorshire)

Title Bishop's transcripts, 1687-1847
Authors Church in Wales. Parish Church of Boughrood (Radnorshire) (Main Author)
Notes Microfilm of original records at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth.
Subjects Wales, Radnor, Boughrood - Church records
Baptisms, marriages, burials 1687, 1715-1829, 1813-1834 Baptisms, burials 1837-1840, 1845-1847 FHL BRITISH Film 104459 Item 3
Baptisms, marriages, burials 1716-1717, 1701-1702 1835 FHL BRITISH Film 104501 Item 7

Now we see the parish records do cover 1805, it was just the IGI extracts started too late. I'm assuming you're not near Aberystwyth - you should maybe contact Aberystwyth re the Primitive Methodists, to see if those records exist. You can rent the film of the BTs to view at an FHC - phone them first for details and procedure.

Christine

Christine Report 22 Jan 2009 12:46

That's amazing! I have looked at some of this - I didn't realise there was so much information in Familysearch. No, I'm in Staines, nowhere near Aberystwyth, but there is, apparently an FHC quite near me. I will visit them I soon as I can.

Thank you everyone.