Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Problem

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroljay

Caroljay Report 22 Jan 2009 11:36

Can anyone tell me why, when I try to add the children of a married couple on my tree, the 'add child' facility doesn't work?

thanks

Heather

Heather Report 22 Jan 2009 12:30

Probably because its a duff tree program :)

Read the Tips for Newbies and get yourself a better program for recording your info.

Caroljay

Caroljay Report 22 Jan 2009 13:50

Cheers! Got one on ancestry but takes so long to add the info. Wouldn't mind but these are fairly close relatives and I wanted to show what I'd added to my aged father. This is the second lot I haven't been able to add.

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 22 Jan 2009 14:44

Get a tree prog on your pc, theres a few you get get trilas for and some are free. Family history 3.1.12 (30 day trila), Legacy 7 (free) get upgrade to Legacy 7 deluxe if you like 7 , there are others. export your file from here or ancestry (Gedcom export) then import to your tree prog. do all you work on tree Prog then when you wnt to put on here export from tree prog and import here. Its much easier and you can put so much more deatail on you local tree prog. The only prob is gedcom doesn't import or export Photos.
Hope this helps

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Jan 2009 15:57

I think that if you add a partner or spouse, you have to save the details first, otherwise the add child box is greyed out.

Just tested and it works ok.

Caroljay

Caroljay Report 22 Jan 2009 16:37

Hi All, Made sure I'd saved them. Think I will have to look at what has been suggested, Thanks

Dugless

Dugless Report 22 Jan 2009 19:22

Family Historian uses the standard GEDcom format as its own 'native' format. It can be imported direct into GR and other progs allowing GEDcom imports.

PomPom

PomPom Report 23 Jan 2009 16:30

I tried to update details of my cousin's husband on my tree and each time I tried I was told that there was an 'error on the page'.
I contacted Genes Customer Care? who replied that it was probably because I have not updated to Internet Explorer 7.
Is this rubbish or what?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Jan 2009 21:47

No it isn't rubbish. GR only warrant that the site will work on the latest browsers, which in the case of Explorer, is version 7.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 24 Jan 2009 05:50

Just noticed a comment from BilboBaggins about explorer 7 and changing to Foxfire

It is the standard message from customer services. Must be on their script
It is not strictly true. I use exployer 6 and it works fine most of the time

When the site first changed over to the new format had a real fight with them until the tech guys eventually got involved - I was furious . The tree page was in fixed frame so those with older PC's or smaller screens couldn't access the text box under names.

Have some tech knowledge so using the language they understand I made some suggestions. Amazed I found after a few days they did what I suggested so now the tree page has an scroll up and down for the whole page.

Have admit at times there are quirks with 6 like not being able to save or error message. My solution which works for me. Click on the - to minimse the Home page and Tree page. Quickly disconnect the internet. Wait a few seconds then reconnect. Maximise the two pages and they right themselves.