Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family tree software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ali

Ali Report 22 Jan 2009 20:54

please could anyone advise me on which one?!

Dugless

Dugless Report 23 Jan 2009 07:42

I recommend Family Historian, the Which best buy. It's easy to use and saves its files in the standard GEDcom format.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Jan 2009 08:34

Family Tree Maker. Have dabbled with a few others but always go back to this one.

Ali

Ali Report 23 Jan 2009 09:58

thank u, i aready have "who do you think you are" that i like but was wondering as i've had it for a very long time, i keep hearing a lot about "Roots" and "family tree maker" i don't mind spending the money to get the right one as i probably won't change again

Paula

Paula Report 23 Jan 2009 10:18

I've found Family Historian to be very good and easy to use. You can download a 30 day free trial from their website so you can try before you buy, that's what I did.

southernbell

southernbell Report 23 Jan 2009 10:31

I also use Family Tree Maker, it produces all the different formats that make a super folder, and you only buy it once for less than £20.00 on a disk, so its yours always.

Ali

Ali Report 23 Jan 2009 11:19

has anyone tried "legacy" or "family tree maker 2009" ?

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 23 Jan 2009 11:35

Hi Ali

I have both Legacy and Family Tree Maker 2009.

I started out (some years ago now) with the free version of Legacy, which I find very easy and clear to use. I upgraded to the paid for version which has a few more bells and whistles. I love Legacy, but it has one drawback - you cannot produce a tree in a chart form with it (there is an add-on you can buy, but so far I have been too skin-flint to do this).

This last christmas I had Family Tree Maker 2009 as my chrismas present. This was bought mainly for the 6 months fee Ancestry subscription which comes with it (at under £30 from Amazon it is a good deal). Needless to say, I have also loaded and played with the program. Now, I may be getting old, but I still prefer Legacy. I just find the screen layout so clear and easy to read and my tree so simple to navigate through on Legacy. So I shall stick with Legacy as my main program. However, I can easily copy everything from Legacy to Family tree Maker by way of a GEDCOM file, and FTM does have quite a good chart printing option, so I reckon I now have the best of both worlds.

Tina

Ali

Ali Report 23 Jan 2009 11:41

thank you very much everyone for your time and help with this

Ken

Ken Report 23 Jan 2009 16:49

Ali
If your research is mainly in England then I recommend Family Historian as its English, FTM is ok but it’s designed mainly for American research.

Carol

Carol Report 24 Jan 2009 11:13

"Who do you think you are family tree program" which you say you have is actually Family Tree maker 2005.

Ron
www.genealogyprinters.com

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 10 Feb 2009 11:20

n