Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Derbyshire marriage licenses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeatherofOz

HeatherofOz Report 22 Jan 2009 23:44

I have a marriage by license in Mottram in Longdendale. The bride is from Glossop. I have tried the cheshire record office marriage licenses and litchfield as well. To no avail. Where are the marriage licenses for Derbyshire kept? Heather

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 22 Jan 2009 23:53

have you tried freebmd to find it or is it pre 1837?
vivienne

HeatherofOz

HeatherofOz Report 23 Jan 2009 00:17

The marriage is in 1808. I'm hoping the marriage license gives the brides parents names.

Heather

FannyByGaslight

FannyByGaslight Report 23 Jan 2009 00:20

sorry i cant help then and i guess youve tried family search as well
vivienne

HeatherofOz

HeatherofOz Report 23 Jan 2009 00:29

Thanks Vivienne and Denise, Yes I have the marriage from family search. I will try the Derbyshire records office.

Thanks for the help

Heather

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 23 Jan 2009 01:00

You want to email

[email protected]

If you think it is derbyshire. He is a star! If that link doesn't work (it doesn't look as though it will) look for High Peak Borough Council, which covers Glossop - i was born there.

Mottram could have been Lancashire in the past.

But our Terry will sort it out for you.

I will bet money on it.

Margaret

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 23 Jan 2009 01:04

Oh 1808, I didn't read it properly. Not sure then which district Mottram would be in, I would think Cheshire or Lancashire and not Derbyshire. I am not aware of Mottram ever being in Derbyshire, though all 3 counties converge.

Margaret

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jan 2009 10:43

I'm sure you don't really want to add to your list of hard to find records, but...
I don't really know, but I think the licence would be issued by the archdeanery - Macclesfield here, so the records might be catalogued under there. There might also be an associated marriage bond, which might also have an extant record.

HeatherofOz

HeatherofOz Report 23 Jan 2009 11:18

Thanks guys, I will try terry, margaret and mgnv I will try macclesfield. I emailed Derbyshire records office and they stated that it would be chester or litchfield. and they couldn't help. I will keep going. Thanks for the help. Heather

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 23 Jan 2009 23:41

It defintely won't be Macclesfield, a pity though that office is particularly helpful. I suggest Lancashire, Ashton under Lyne (which used to be in Cheshire). I live in the area, was born nearby, am trying to imagine where I would go myself. Glossop Family History Centre might help.

Margaret

HeatherofOz

HeatherofOz Report 24 Jan 2009 03:38

I have got a reply from Derbyshire they don't have them. Margaret thanks for the suggestion I will try Lancashire and the Glossop Family History Centre. Thanks for the advice everyone. It took me 3 years to locate where they got married and the parish record and the baptism of their children so a little longer won't hurt. Heather