Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mystery Father

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rebeka

Rebeka Report 23 Jan 2009 09:34

Hi,

I have been researching my family tree for a while now and have got a friend of mine interested, but we have hit a brick wall and I’m hoping someone can help. Her dad has never known his biological father and was only made aware of him from an auntie a couple of years ago. All he was told that his dad was called Arthur Foster (could be spelt different) and that he had died possibly in the early 70’s. He was told he lived in Leeds. We searched Ancestry and found Mr Arthur FOSTER died 1971 in Halifax, which was the nearest we could find. The Death Cert has come this morning but we don’t think it’s the right one has the Auntie reckons he was from the woodlesford area of Leeds. My Friend has tried to get more information out of her aunt and all she seems able to tell us is that he sold cars for TATE company in Leeds, whereas on the death cert his occupation is listed as Master Grocer.
Please can anyone give us some tips on what to do next????????

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 23 Jan 2009 18:34

Try the local records office for where your dad was born to see if his mother sued for a maintainance order should have your dad's father's details if so.
They will need his mother's name, address at the time and dad's date of birth, worth a try.

Cost me £8 for the search and they found my dad's dad we didn't even know his name until then.

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 23 Jan 2009 19:17

Hi,Rebeka,

There is another one.

Arthur Leslie Foster B 10th June 1908.
Died 1972 Leeds 2c 1001 1st Qrt

Would he be too old ?

Marilyn

Rebeka

Rebeka Report 27 Jan 2009 12:02

Thanks for this. I think he may be too old but i will certainly check it out.

Thanks,

Rebeka

Rebeka Report 4 Sep 2009 10:43

Hi, I would just like to update you on this thread, it may spur some people on who are a little stuck.

Since posting this thread and much searching we have now located Arthur, although he has passed away my friends dad is now in touch with his 2 Aunts and will be shortly arranging a meeting.

Happy Days!

GRMarilyn

GRMarilyn Report 4 Sep 2009 12:46

Rebeka,

Thats great news for your friend.

Well done, nice to hear happy endings.

Marilyn

Irene

Irene Report 4 Sep 2009 12:57

That is a really good result - well done. Hope the meeting goes well. Regards Irene