Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Free access for Times Online Archives...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 23 Jan 2009 13:37

Don't know if this has been done, or is applicable to everyone , but my husband discovered yesterday, that we are able to search these archives FREE by using our library card registration number.

We searched for Suffolk Libraries Direct and it came up with all the information we needed to search.

Hope this is of help to someone :o)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 23 Jan 2009 13:40

Are you in Suffolk though or somewhere else?

I don't think we have this facility in Kent ... boo hoo.

Jill

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 23 Jan 2009 13:56

Yep, I'm in Suffolk. It really was just a case of typing in your library card number. I got pretty excited when I saw Ancestry Library Edition listed....and then discovered that it's not availabele to view at home - BUMMER!

Have a look at your library card (if you have one!) and then search for Kent Libraries - it's worth a shot.

I found loads of info on my husbands' family on The Times site with the free trial they had some time ago, but couldn't afford/justify paying for that as well as my other subs, so this is a real bonus.

All the best
Heidi

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 23 Jan 2009 20:08

Nudge

AndreaFromYorkshire

AndreaFromYorkshire Report 23 Jan 2009 20:48

Hi
Trying not to sound silly but it has asked me to register and pay £4.95 per day!
Am I in the correct site? I typed in Times archive into google.
Please advise
Andrea

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 26 Jan 2009 19:28

As I said Helen - it may NOT be applicable to everyone. It obviously works here in Suffolk. I thought it best to post just in case it actually helped SOMEONE, even if not everyone. It should work for Suffolk people at least.

Just sharing the wealth and all that malarkey.

Hi Andrea, that's the route I've managed to bypass, so to speak. Suffolk Libraries allow Suffolk library card holders to go through their website (at home!), click on the link for Times Archives and key in your library card number, that's how it becomes free to use.

Dunno if your local library supports this or not, I just happened to stumble across it by chance, and thought I'd post as maybe other areas are able to use this facility also. You don't know 'til you try!

Sandra

Sandra Report 26 Jan 2009 22:41

you can access from Oxfordshire online.................you can also join Library online..............not sure how wide an area that covers

sandie

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 31 Jan 2009 10:25

Sometimes people read replies in a tone of voice that was not intended by the author. I think this has happened here.

I think Helen was trying to be helpful but Heidi interpreted the same message as being 'picky' when she already said that it may not be available to anyone.

It's easily done, I'm sure if you'd had a conversation in the same room, there wouldn't have been this confusion. You're obviously both helpful people, please don't let this develop into an argument.

:-) Thanks for the info by the way

µèÎÐΙ

µèÎÐΙ Report 2 Feb 2009 15:54

Oh dear,...

Helen

I didn't think I said there was a problem. Could you point out where I said there was?

I'm guessing from my use of capitals to highlight (which I used in my original post) the words I am unable to use italics for on this rather old fashioned message board, you took offence. None was meant, and if you took it as such, I apologise.

We all have issues in the "real World", I just try not to bring them onto here. This is a genealogy website after all.

SRS - I hadn't taken offence at all!! That's the weird thing, however from Helen's posting response, she clearly had, and now I find myself apologising...You are however, completely right, it's difficult to tell someone's tone of voice from words written on a message board, but again, I'd like to reassure anyone concerned, no offence was meant.

I just really believed I was posting something that might help someone. Lesson learned, it won't be happening again.

I'll leave this here for a short while before deleting to give Helen a chance to see my apology, as I don't believe in all the private messaging that goes on between people here - a public comment get's a public apology.

Regards
Heidi