Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Confused On Marrage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 23 Jan 2009 17:22

hi
im trying to find on marrages my great grandmother
i cant work out how to search
do i search for her maiden name or married name
any help please

thanks

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Jan 2009 19:01

Note there's usually two marriages on a page of the register. It's impossible to tell from the index how they paired up before 1912, so you'll get a hit if you enter John Smith and Mary Brown, even if they each married one of the other folks on the page. Click on the page # to see who's on the page, and click on the district, then "here" in "info can be found here" to see exactly what the rego district covered. You don't have to enter the full name (or indeed any names) - you could look for all the John + Mary marriages in Taunton in 1837 or whatever.

Heather

Heather Report 23 Jan 2009 22:48

Give us the details if you cant manage it. And do read the Tips for Newbies thread on here.

Martin

Martin Report 25 Jan 2009 11:58

hi thanks
its taken me a while but ive worked it out

cheers