Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stillborn child

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 23 Jan 2009 21:11

If my gt grandmother had a stillborn child in c.1902 would there be a birth/death cert?

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jan 2009 21:17

Birth and death certificates are not issued for stillbirths.

After 1927 a Stillbirths register was started.
Access is only to parents, or if they are deceased, to the child's siblings.

You might find a record of the child's burial in parish or cemetery records.

Gwyn

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 23 Jan 2009 21:20

Thanks very much Gwyn, saves me searching for paperwork that's not there! But a bit sad after all that I won't be able to trace him.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 23 Jan 2009 21:32

I have cemetery records for a particular surname, showing address and date buried for stillborn babies.
From a similar record, you might be able to track this baby in your family.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 23 Jan 2009 21:51

It is sad isn't it. I know my Nan had a stillborn daughter. I don't know whether she was born before or after 1927 and whether grans first husband or my grandfather was the father. Because of this I am unable to get the relevant sibling (mother or half uncle) to get the stillbirth certificate. There is also the added complication that I don't know if she was born in Scotland or England. Sad because there is nothing to commemorate this tiny being who lived for eight months in the womb.

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 23 Jan 2009 22:14

In those days, the stillborn infant would probably have been interred with some completely unconnected individual who happened to be 'next in line' for the undertaker...........

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 24 Jan 2009 12:42

I agree with Eric that that did happen, but I do still think it's worth looking for a record of burial.

In front of me here I have a list of burials for a surname of interest, in a Hampshire town.
Cemetery, section number and grave number are shown, also date of burial.
The earliest for a stillborn is December 1879, ...area address shown.
By 1890, the road is shown and by 1906, the full address is there.

Gwyn

Lorna

Lorna Report 24 Jan 2009 20:35

Would stillborn children be registered as Male or female- or is that for babies that were alive at birth but did not survive long enough to be named?