Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

copy tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Caroline Elizabeth Anne

Caroline Elizabeth Anne Report 24 Jan 2009 11:56

Can anyone help?? how can I copy my tree on to my son's tree (he has just become a member. I have given him access but he wants to copy the entire tree on to his.

Is there a way

Thank you
Caroline

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~  **007 1/2**

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Jan 2009 12:02

You could send him your tree as a gedcom file and he could upload it to genesreunited .

Does that make sense or do you need me to explain in more detail?

Caroline Elizabeth Anne

Caroline Elizabeth Anne Report 24 Jan 2009 12:10

Can you explain - not good with computers need an idiots guide
Thank you

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Jan 2009 12:13

Don't worry it's all genealogical speak, I just didn't want to type it all out if you knew what I meant.

One guide coming up...typed by an idiot :-)

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Jan 2009 12:22

On the bottom of this page is a bar across the page that says tell a friend.

If you carry along that bar you can see Import/Export Gedcom - you will need to click on that.

There are two options Help on Importing and Help on Exporting.

As you already have your tree on GR, you will need to click on Export Gedcom. This will create a Gedcom File (which contains all the details about your family tree).

The file should be sent to the email address you are registered with. You can only open up the file on your computer to look at your family tree if you have a Family Tree program on your computer at home. (You can download free ones or even put it another online family tree site)

Anyway, you will need to forward the email to your son.

Your son will need to go onto the same Page (Import/export gedcom) and this time he will need to IMPORT the gedcom file by selecting the file that you sent him on his computer. Hopefully he will have your tree.

I haven't ever done this (at least for a while) so other people may have other tips.

Caroline Elizabeth Anne

Caroline Elizabeth Anne Report 24 Jan 2009 12:23

Thank you I will give it a go!

Caroline

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Jan 2009 12:31

Good luck, come back to us if it doesn't work.

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Jan 2009 12:32

PS It will overwrite his existing tree.

Caroline Elizabeth Anne

Caroline Elizabeth Anne Report 24 Jan 2009 12:48

Hello 'secret red sqirrel'

It was going so well, I exported it, found it in my emails, forwarded to my son then - he went to import file but it then asks file name and we can't find it - any ideas

Caroline Elizabeth Anne

Caroline Elizabeth Anne Report 24 Jan 2009 13:37

Ok Thank you
Caroline

~~~Secret Red ^^ Squirrel~~~ **007 1/2** Report 24 Jan 2009 14:24

Sorry Caroline, was having lunch.

How are you getting on? Sorry I should have said to save the file to his computer when he received his email.

If your son has only just started his family tree, will he mind replacing it with your tree if you have more information on your tree?

If he needs to merge it, he may need to find a family tree program as someone already has said.

Familysearch.org has a free program called PAF (you'll find it on the following link - the same page)

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp

I've never used it , however, It is free to download.