Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help Needed with Irish Records Please !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TOR

TOR Report 24 Jan 2009 13:44

A very good friend of mine has just had her first baby and I'd like to do a cross-stitch family tree for his Christening.

Problem is I didn't realise his paternal grandfather (now deceased) was born in Burren Hill, County Down.

I know he was born in 1919 and am fairly certain his fathers name was Thomas. I have no problem ordering his birth certificate but before I do would it contain the same information as an English record, i.e. his mothers name?

Also where can I obtain an Irish birth cert for this period?

Any help/suggestions welcome.

TOR x

TOR

TOR Report 24 Jan 2009 14:17

UPDATE - just been checking what I can find online and now suspect the following (unproven obviously)

Robert Stewart Gibson 1919 County Down - 1990 Lancashire = KNOWN

Father : Thomas Gibson c1880 County Down =UNPROVEN
Mother : UNKOWN

Grandfather : Thomas Gibson = UNPROVEN
Grandmother: Agnes Shaw Gibson = UNPROVEN

TOR x

Joy

Joy Report 24 Jan 2009 14:26

Have a look at this site -
http://genealogy.about.com/library/vital/blireland.htm

TOR

TOR Report 24 Jan 2009 14:30

Thanks Joy

will skoodle over there now.

TOR x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 24 Jan 2009 14:40

We have an Irish Birth Cert for my wife's grandfather, and I can confirm that it contains the same info as an English one, including mother's maiden name and father's occupation.

However, it was common in some places, for children born in Hospital to be registered by a member of the hospital staff without a name, simply as Boy O'Connell, for example. This happened to a number of my wife's family which made it impossible to find them on the register by christian name.

TOR

TOR Report 24 Jan 2009 14:45

Bilbo - thanks you beginning to make me think this wasn't such a good idea after all. lol

TOR x

Joy

Joy Report 24 Jan 2009 15:47

I can email to you the birth certificate for my great-great-uncle if you would like to see it.

TOR

TOR Report 24 Jan 2009 15:54

Joy unless his name is Thomas Gibson don't think it'll help.

The site you recommended told me what I could expect to find on the cert..............all I've gotta do know is order the thing.

(as if doing my tree wasn't enough. lol)

TOR x

Joy

Joy Report 24 Jan 2009 16:08

No, he's William McCusker, b 1865.

Happy hunting ... :-)