Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death record, wrong month?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

DianaBorntoGoogle

DianaBorntoGoogle Report 24 Jan 2009 15:34

I have found the record of my cousins death who died in Jan 1985. All the details in the record are correct except that it says he died in May 1985. Why would that be when we know he definitely died in January?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2009 15:40

Was his death subject to an inquest .If so the death couldn't be reg till the coroner gave his findings

DianaBorntoGoogle

DianaBorntoGoogle Report 24 Jan 2009 15:56

Bless you, Shirley, that is probably the reason. Yes there would have been an inquest but we had had the funeral as normal in February so I didn't think about it not being made official until May.
Never the less that record could confuse someone who doesn't know the circumstances of the death. It is very misleading.

Thank very much for replying so quickly, love Diana

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Jan 2009 16:16

Hi Diana
Well the coroner would have issued an authority to say was OK to go ahead with the burial even thought the formal inquest hadnt taken place. I bet the informant on the death cert is the coroner. I have two certs where this happened . the death couldn't be registered till the coroner issued his "OK" and he was the official informant on the death certs