Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth - But no Marriage?!!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

blinky

blinky Report 24 Jan 2009 22:37

I have managed to find my Aunt's registered birth - Aunt by marriage
I then had her mother's maiden name and went searching for the marriage registration - 15 yrs either side of my Aunt's birth and I can't find it?! There had to be a marriage because the family was Catholic!
The marriage is between a Robert Edward Veitch and a unknown Caldwell - daughter born 1952

If anyone has any suggestions please tell me coz I've just gone through a lot of records to get no where!

Many thanks in advance

Kerry

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 24 Jan 2009 22:46

Just because they were Catholic doesn't mean to say there must be a marriage.

Maybe the mother was married before and widowed or divorced in which case the surname on the marriage registration will be different from the maiden name on the child's birth registration.

Kath. x

blinky

blinky Report 24 Jan 2009 22:48

Hi Kath

I never thought of that - It puts a whole different spin on things

Thanks anyway

Kerry

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 24 Jan 2009 22:56

Hi Blinky,
Are you searching online? not all BMD records have been transcribed yet.
for a list go here
http://www2.freebmd.org.uk/progressM.shtml

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 24 Jan 2009 23:06

Have you found any records for a Robert E Veitch? If you aunt's mother had been married before she wouldn't be marrying Robert with the surname Caldwell.

Rose

blinky

blinky Report 24 Jan 2009 23:12

I've found a death for Robert Edward Veitch - registered in Liverpool - in 1989 which sits right with what I know about the family

Just no marriage -

Yes searching on line thro ancestry - but will try the bmd - thanks for the pointer

Kerry

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 24 Jan 2009 23:21

I know its unlikely but he could have married from the age of 16 so in your mans case look at the full indexes on ancestry for a marriage from 1/4 1927

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 24 Jan 2009 23:24

Ancestry uses the FreeBMD database, but i find freeBMD search easier to use.
also try thegenealogist, they are doing a free trial no credit card needed, you get 10 creds for free to use over 30 days.
http://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/freesub

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 24 Jan 2009 23:26

Please never assume that because they were Catholic they married. I am still looking for the second marriage for my great grandmother. The woman who deserted her husband, had an affair then got back with her hubby had a few more kids including twins 10 months after hubbys death.

blinky

blinky Report 24 Jan 2009 23:50

Thank you all for all your tips and suggestions

I will start again tomorrow - would carry on tonight but my brain is addled so off to bed

I do appreciate all the assistance I have had though

And I will bear in mind that I should never assume there is a marriage just because I think there should be

Kerry

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 25 Jan 2009 03:01

I see the death as Robert Edward Veitch but the corresponding birth is just Robert Veitch, which doesn't help you any.

Births Mar 1911
VEITCH Robert W.Derby 8b 381

Rose