Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Churchyards & Burial Plots

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicky

Nicky Report 25 Jan 2009 11:02

Hi, Wonder if someone is able to help me with my query please. I recently visited one of the local villages of my ancestors to look at the churchyard they would have been buried in according to the parish records. I found one burial tomb with the family name which contained four of my ancestors, but there should be at least another 20 more buried there. There were many headstones, but the inscriptions were unrecognisable unfortunately. My question is this - where would I go to find if there was a map layout for the burial plots. I know they have them for the larger cemetries, but for the small village church, where they are no longer accepting burials, where would I need to go to find this information? Any help gratefully received, thanks. Nicky

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Jan 2009 11:06

well I would start with the vicar of that church

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jan 2009 11:07

You could first try the church office of the church you visited. Some I've seen openly on display, others keep them tucked away.
Some churches might have handed such records to the local or county archives.

Gwyn

Nicky

Nicky Report 25 Jan 2009 11:21

Thank you both for this - I must be still asleep as I should have thought of that myself. I have located the village website and have emailed the church, so fingers crossed someone will be able to get back to me. Many thanks.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 25 Jan 2009 11:33

best of luck!!!

Jac

Jac Report 25 Jan 2009 11:45

You might need to contact the Diocese - I believe churchyard records are handed to the Diocesan Registrar when no further interments are permitted.

Good luck

Jac xxx