Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Parish Records on IGI - any more info

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Jan 2009 12:34

It's me again - Is there more information on the original Parish Records than you get on the IGI site? I have found a few which I am sure are mine, will I find out more from the originals?

Thanks

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 25 Jan 2009 12:45

Yes Jacqueline........ especially the marriages as the originals will have the witnesss names, and maybe an adress, and wether their "of this parish" or not, baptisms if your lucky may include mothers maiden name, and occupation of father, and occasionally an address.......I think it all depended on the individual minister/ vicar in how much information they recorded.

Nicky

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jan 2009 12:54

Usually there's more information on original records.
After 1812 baptism forms were of a certain format, where address and occupation of father should be shown.
Admittedly the address might be limited if it's a village in particular, but always worth a look.
Sometimes vicars or clerks wrote little snippets of information that will also help, ...eg 'died of smallpox' ....This is enlightening as death certificates weren't available until after 1837.

Mariage entries will show you witness names, which can be useful to find family links. The registers after 1837 will hold identical information to that on a GRO marriage certificate.... Often you can take copies from the fiche / film reader for a low cost ( 50p here for A4 size).

Burial records are not usually found on IGI site, but again may hold information such as address, age and date of burial.

Another advantage of browsing parish records is that you can keep a lookout for other surnames of interest, thus helping to research side branches of your tree.

Take a look. I'm sure you'll find something of interest.

Gwyn

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 25 Jan 2009 14:05

Thanks Gwen and Nicky, Thats my next thing to do, find the parish records.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Jan 2009 18:51

Forgot to say
...You have to be prepared for some sad comments sometimes.

I've read a page of banns called in Sussex c. 1914 and then seen the comment..
..This marriage did not take place ( name) killed in action R.I.P. )

Earlier this week in local church records.........

Burial...( date shown)
"An unknown infant found dead on the railway line on Xmas day"
I paused and thought of that little child and wondered who was driven to leave him there.

Gwyn

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 25 Jan 2009 19:06

Yes, I once saw in a parish record, a child of 10 years......killed by the sails of a windmill...........one can only imagine how horrific that would have been......

Nicky