Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth Registration - England/Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 25 Jan 2009 13:15

Is it at all possible that someone could have been actually born in Scotland in the late 1920's but had their bitrth registered in England and the address of birth given as in England one month later?

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 25 Jan 2009 13:29

It must be possible I suppose. How far apart are the two addresses?

How do you know they were born in Scotland? Is this from family stories? If it was close to the Scottish border I can understand a bit of possible confusion.

Jill

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 25 Jan 2009 13:56

Thanks for your reply.The birth was registered in West Derby, (near Liverpool I think, as was place of birth)but there is conflicting evidence which is not necessarily reliable that the birth may have been in the Highlands. (nowhere near Scottish border) I have checked records on Scotlands People and there is no birth for this name for some years either side.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 25 Jan 2009 14:14

Ah - do you think (whoever it was you're looking for) that they thought they were born in Scotland if that's where they grew up? Did the family move to Scotland while child was still very young?

Jill

lotsofmarmite

lotsofmarmite Report 25 Jan 2009 14:54

I don't know where this person grew up but the birth of a sibling was registered same place in South just a few years on. The parents were born and wed in Scotland and I think moved to England after their marriage. As you say, the person could have been told incorrect information, I just wondered if it was possible and don't know the requirements for registering a birth, particularly then. (can't remember how my own kids were registered!)
Anyway, thanks and I'll look forward to hearing from you again if you have any more thoughts.