Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 26 Jan 2009 09:45

Are they all on ancestry? I have one 1946/7 i cant find nor can many others who have tried on this site. So could it be that the office he was registered at didn't send the paper work (not really sure how it all works). Off course this is clutching at straws but just wondered if anyone else had had this problem and if they did did they ever solve it?

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Jan 2009 09:57

It is possible that it didn't make it to the GRO or it couuld have been registered late. I'd be inclined to check a couple of years either side of the birth just in case the year is wrong.

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 26 Jan 2009 10:15

Thank you

We have tried 10 years either side,lol. Still none the wiser. So now i have three possibilities, he was adopted, he used a different surname to the one he was reg with or it didn't make it to the GRO. LOL

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Jan 2009 11:22

I guess you've checked mothers maiden name.

TinaElizabeth

TinaElizabeth Report 26 Jan 2009 11:45

I am not sure of his mothers MN or maybe it is his MN that he has used.

I don't have a wedding cert for his parents as i know not of their names, the only way i know of his existence is from three news paper reports from 1966. He was 19 then i have also checked the deaths as well.

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 26 Jan 2009 23:21

I am not sure that Ancestry has births covering all years. I always use Find My Past - yes it is a trawl, and not always perfect, but the most accurate source of BMDs after about 1920.

If someone tells me I am wrong I would be delighted cos I haven't got to grips yet with the new Ancestry format.

Margaret

Joan Allan

Joan Allan Report 27 Jan 2009 04:52

Ancestry is not fully transcribed so a search for the birth name on www.findmypast.com will help

It will be a long and winding road but you will get to the end result eventually.

Good luck
Joan

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jan 2009 07:10

For an event after 1930, and some before, you can't search the easy "partial BMD index", but have to work page by page, quarter by quarter, in the "Complete BMD index" (using " to indicate Ancestry's labels for these databases).