Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maiden names

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 26 Jan 2009 10:45

Could someone clarify this for me - I'm new to this! I have found a late Aunt's marriage entry in the BMDs. In it her maiden/birth surname is quoted. I then traced her death cert and found that the info was submitted by her daughter. When I then found my Aunt's husband's death cert the daughter then described herself as a step daughter. Would I be correct in searching for my cousin using my Aunt's birth surname? There's not a chance that she was married previously and then reverted to her birth surname upon a second marriage? Sorry if this is boring the experts!
TIA
P

Heather

Heather Report 26 Jan 2009 10:48

Well ................If she was registered under the aunts birth surname it would mean she was illegitimate - if auntie married before then she would be registered under aunts first married name. BUT auntie should have used that name when she married for a second time.

The other possibility is that her husband had been married before but then I assume the daughter would have entered herself as step daughter on both death certs.

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 26 Jan 2009 11:29

There is a chance she was married before. I know on my Nan's 2nd marriage she appears in the indexes in both her maiden name and her previous married name. her death certificate only states her last married name.

The only way to find out for sure would be to get the marriage certificate and see if there is another married name on it.

Peter

Peter Report 26 Jan 2009 13:46

Thank you for your replies. I will send off for her marriage certificate! Excepting that she might have actually married earlier, abroad, I can't find any other entries for her between her 16th birthday and her recorded marriage in 1947. I must presume her daughter was born out of wedlock. So far I have found 4 entries with the correct surname/initials between 1920 and 1945.....
Many thanks
P