Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry - unable to access births for 1984 - 2005

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Iain001

Iain001 Report 26 Jan 2009 12:58

Hi,
I have just rejoined Ancestry with premium membership after several months of not using their service.

I have been trying to search for births between 1984 and 2005 but each time I try a search I keep getting a page which tells me "the search request could not be completed because insufficient information was provided to ancestry.co.uk".
I have used this search before without problem, but just to make sure I put in the details of my own son, filling every box with the correct information, and yet still I get this message.
Anyone else have the same problem.?

I also wondered, where do I access pre-1837 parish records on ancestry?.

Thank you

Kate

Kate Report 26 Jan 2009 13:36

I'm having the same trouble, Iain - I just tried to search for myself in the same birth index and the same message came up. I suspect there is a fault somewhere - even when I selected Births 1984-2005, before I had even had the option to put a name in it came up with "Search Unknown" over the top of the search box, too.

For parish records, on the home page, there should be a box down the right hand side of your browser window reading Ancestry Quick Links - pick Ancestry Card Catalogue, then the filter by "Birth, Marriage and Death" option from the list on the left of the screen. Somewhere down the list will be the following links:

England and Wales Marriages 1538-1940

England and Wales Christening Records 1538-1906

If you then filter by England (for instance) - again using the list on the left, there are some records sorted by county. (When I followed the above, Lancashire, Yorkshire and Staffordshire came up in the first twenty - you might have to search further on in the results for what you're looking for.)

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 26 Jan 2009 13:40

They must be doing something to the site as I havent seen that horrible little boy for a while !

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 26 Jan 2009 13:44

just tried, cant trace any births, marriage and death ok, maybe they're updating the records.

Iain001

Iain001 Report 26 Jan 2009 19:37

Thanks Kate, the answer is very much appreciated.
I have checked the parish registers now, they don't appear to have to many of the records at the moment. I have a lot of the names I am looking for in Oxfordshire on parish records, but very few of them appear on ancestry. I wonder if they are continuing to add to these records. It must be a mammoth task I guess.

Also thank you to every one else for replying