Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Relative born in India - HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 26 Jan 2009 22:59

Hi, i'm hoping someone can help me find a relative born in India. You guys were awesome last time so hoping you know where i should look.

Her name was Alice Ida Brooks born c1878 in Bombay, India.
I know very little about her other than what ive found on India Office Records (this is how i discovered her name). i have her sons birth cert showing her surname to be brooks.

She married William Alfred Chevis b 1876 in west peckham. he served with the 9th Eastern Division RGA in India..... his son Albert Norton was born in Calcutta, India. (1899).

On the 1911 census she is stated in where born.... INDIA BOMBAY RESIDENT.

Any help would be great

thank you

Kevin

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 27 Jan 2009 00:04

Hi Kevin

She is listed on the IGI:

Alice Ida Brooks
Christening: 10 NOV 1877 India Office Ecclesiastical Returns-Bengal Presidency, , , India
Parents:
Father: Thomas Edward Brooks
Mother: Sophia Louisa
Batch No: C750312

Cheers,
Richard

Kevin

Kevin Report 27 Jan 2009 00:09

wow thats great thank you... if i get up this register is there anyway to know what her parent did... why they were in india?

I think i found there marriage in allahad 1899..

Thank you again

Kevin

Richard in Perth

Richard in Perth Report 27 Jan 2009 00:43

Hi again Kevin

The register should contain further info - the Indian ones that I've seen (which were also 1870's, like this one) show date of birth, date of baptism, parents names (but not mother's maiden name), abode and father's occupation. Therefore it would definitely be worthwhile having a look at the original.

Cheers,
Richard

Kevin

Kevin Report 27 Jan 2009 21:07

Hi, thank you for the info... how to i access the IGI info?

do i have to order it like a birth cert?

regards

Kevin

Kevin

Kevin Report 27 Jan 2009 23:59

tried looking on familysearch.org, but cant see and IGI section. new to this whole family research business.

cheers

KEvin

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Jan 2009 00:14

Kevin, you will HAVE to use IGI at some point, for pre-1937 registrations, so put it in your favourites:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

Old Crone, I think, has a tutorial on IGI searches, use it, or get back to me for help.

Regards

Margaret

Kevin

Kevin Report 28 Jan 2009 00:19

Thank you for the help, will check out the tutorial.

Regards

Kevin

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Jan 2009 11:48

Alice Ida Pedigree
Female

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening: 10 NOV 1877 India Office Ecclesiastical Returns-Bengal Presidency, , , India

Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: Thomas Edward Brooks Family
Mother: Sophia Louisa

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C750312 1877 0510854 Film NONE

Sheet:

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 28 Jan 2009 11:52

Thomas Brooks Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 09 APR 1850 Chr Shahjehanpore, , West Bengal, India

Christening: 14 NOV 1869 , , India

Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: John Brooks Family
Mother: Mary

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C750245 1869 0499036 Film NONE

Sheet:

19 years between birth and christening!!! strange!!!!