Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WWI Memorial Certificate help.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dippydebbie

Dippydebbie Report 27 Jan 2009 17:52

Hi all, bit of a long shot but would anyone know what year the posters/certificates for WW1 a soldier (no grave ) whose name was carved on French memorial at Thiepval were presented to families. These huge memorials must have taken years to build and the approx date could help me pin down date of soldiers Father. Thanks a million.

Dippydebbie

Dippydebbie Report 27 Jan 2009 18:18

Hi Annie, sorry my post was not clear,missed out a word, should have read date of fathers death. I have the certificate with fathers name they were both called Edward Connell from Wolverhampton father born 1865 but Ive been going round in circles trying to find his death. Got him on 1891 1901 census and marriage certificate but cant find his birth or death. As certificate presented to him thought year of cert would help Debs

Dippydebbie

Dippydebbie Report 27 Jan 2009 18:40

sorry to be a pain but any ideas why I cant find his birth either, birth date 1863/4/5/ according to census and marriage certificate. According to relatives he died after WW1

mgnv

mgnv Report 27 Jan 2009 20:19

http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=80800&mode=1
The [THIEPVAL] memorial, designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens, was built between 1928 and 1932 and unveiled by the Prince of Wales, in the presence of the President of France, on 1 August 1932 (originally it had been scheduled for 16 May, but due to the sudden death of French President Doumer, as a mark of respect, the ceremony was postponed until August).