Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Army Records, where to find them?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 27 Jan 2009 21:19

Hi

I have just found my great grandad in the 1901 census in the Barracks at Colchester. His name is Charles Sims, born Aldershot, Hampshire.

I know by the 1911 Census that he is married, but I was hoping to find some more info on his family through his military records. Does anyone know where I can go to search for the info.

I have looked on Ancestry at the military section but nothing is coming up for him. I have also tried the National Archives site, but no luck there either.

Also, would Aldershot registration district of been Farnham Hampshire, in 1883?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Tracie.

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 27 Jan 2009 21:36

Do you know when he was born, i have fmp access all areas and i can take a look, found some of charles sims but need to confirm birth year

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 27 Jan 2009 21:44

If he served in WW1 his records may appear on Ancestry - they haven't got all the S surnames yet. If not, then his records,if they have survived will be at the National Archives - not online though, you'd have to go there or get someone to go for you.

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 27 Jan 2009 22:20

Hi $tormcha$er

Thanks so much for your offer. According to the 1911 census he is down as being born in Aldershot, Hampshire in 1883. This also concurs with the 1901 census where he is in the Barracks. I have not brought his birht cert yet as I wasn't sure if the Charles Sims I found on the BMD was the right one as it is registered in Farnham, and not sure that is the right district. lol.

Thanks again for the look up
Tracie.

Marion

Marion Report 27 Jan 2009 23:04

Hi, if you look the birth reg up on freebmd.org you can click on the Farnham & it will tell you what areas the district of Farnham covers.
Hope this may help

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 28 Jan 2009 13:32

Hi Marion

Thank you soooo much for that little tip, it works a dream, and now I can order the cert and maybe get a little further on my tree.

Thanks again
Tracie.

*stinkermurdock*

*stinkermurdock* Report 28 Jan 2009 15:48

Hi Ann

I am so sorry I missed you out, to be honest I didn't see the reply properly.

Thanks for your info, I will have to build up courage to go to Kew, it looks so daunting by the pictures online, lol.

Thanks once again

Best wishes
Tracie.