Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing baby on 1911 census

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jan 2009 13:09

Please can you see Charles Batchelor in 1911?
Charles was registered Charles F.....in Elham (Kent) district in March 1911, having been born in December 1910.

His parents .....Frederic and Georgina Maud are there, also Georgina's mother, Sarah Jane ROONEY, visiting from Ireland
....but what about baby Charles?

Charles died in April 1912......registered Elham district.

Any help to locate him in searches would be great please, I don't of course expect you to pay to find him.
Thank you.

Gwyn

Alan

Alan Report 28 Jan 2009 14:06

I couldnt come up with anything Gwyn in 1911.
Perhaps he wasnt there................dying so young, he could have been in hospital.??

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jan 2009 14:12

Thank you for looking Alan.

OH looked for him in the surrounding area, ie. searched just Kent, rather than a district, but couldn't see him.
He was Christened in the Folkestone area in January 1911, so we thought he'd be with his family.

Did babies go further afield to hospital in those days?

Gwyn

Alan

Alan Report 28 Jan 2009 14:26

Perhaps a Childrens or Specialst Hosp if they existed??
I presume you havent got a Death Cert which might throw up some info?

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Jan 2009 14:43

The only one in an instituion is in Paddington aged 11 months, so too old. There is a 5-month old at Hambleton, Surrey with a family, and a 5-month old at Kings Norton, Worcestershire with a family. A possibility might be that his mother was ill and he was despatched to a relative to be looked after or even fed by a wet nurse. Maybe the mother from Ireland came to care for Georgina?

Margaret

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jan 2009 14:55

Thank you both for your thoughts.

Alan
No, we don't have a death certificate, .... I think we might have to get a copy to see if it helps, although Charles should show up somewhere. I think all the southern area has been transcribed?
We have seen his entries in parish records and have visited his grave near Folkestone.

Margaret... Thank you.
None of them quite fit, do they?
There were no local relatives.
Frederic (the father) was from Hampshire and was the only one to move away ( they went back there c. 1922)
Georgina was from Ireland.

Georgina may have been ill, but she went on to have 2 more sons in 1913 and 1918 and died in Hampshire in 1930s

Maybe a death certificate may help.??

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 28 Jan 2009 22:55

Hi Gwyn

Did either of the parents have siblings who moved to Surrey or Worcestershire? The death certificate will cost you £7 and might tell you nothing particularly stunning, and not where he was in 1911. If you pay to see the actual census record (about £3-4) to see if he has just been missed off the transcription - we have read on here about so many errors in transcription!

Margaret

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 29 Jan 2009 09:48

Margaret
Thank you for your advice.
All Frederic's family were in Hampshire. He met and married Georgina in Cork, where her family stayed.
I think you may be right about Charles being left off the index..... I have had that problem before with a family member in 1891.
Viewing the actual image would seem to be the way forward, I think.

Gwyn