Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The plot thickens

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sands

Sands Report 28 Jan 2009 13:44

After 21 year of research into my grandmothers past i thought i had gathered all the info i need well so i thought.
My nan was adopted and i wanted to know where she was between her birth and the 1911 census i found her but on searching the erler census records i have come to the conclusion that the couple along with other unwanted children were boarding with them and was this something more interesting than first thought . Firstly the couple start off childless and each census they change two were adopted by the couple and the others disapear i know what happend to nan though she wasnt adopted by this couple.
So dont be surprised what you find in the census any ideas what these numbers of children were was it the boarding out of the work house or something private pushed away in the countryside of suffolk ?

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 28 Jan 2009 14:00

This sounds very interesting and mysterious - do you want to put up some dates and names etc and someone will have a look for you?

Sands

Sands Report 28 Jan 2009 15:25

Thnks bunny i would dearly like to know what happened to the boarding children of this couple but i do not want to offend any living decendants although i would be intrigued to know. just to find if they have had the same outcome has my nan which was privatly adopted by agreement one of the children is listed on this site any ideas what i should do?

George

George Report 28 Jan 2009 20:04

Sometimes workhouses and organisations like Barnardo's used to place children with 'foster' families prior to emigrating them or possibly until there was room at an orphanage.

George

Mauatthecoast

Mauatthecoast Report 28 Jan 2009 21:37

I've sent you a pm
Mau

Sheila

Sheila Report 28 Jan 2009 21:52

Formal adoptions only started in 1927, so it may be hard to try and find the others, with no leads of who they went to :O(

Sands

Sands Report 28 Jan 2009 22:00

I aggree that formal adoption never started until 1926-1927 but in my case i am very lucky my grandmother kept her birth name through out her life and even on her death certificate it gives both surname..
I also am very lucky that my grandmother left to me her adoption agreement of 1912 and a letter of 1912 that mentions the child act of 1908 when inspectors could visit a foster home if a child is taken in with out payment which is what happened in my grandmothers case.
So it could well be that those other children may have kept their birth names also...

Sands

Sands Report 29 Jan 2009 12:20

Thankyou yes if you have the barnados web adress i would be grateful.
Yes i would like to get to the bottom of it all seems very mysterious .
My first port of call will be the local records office for workhouse records just in case they survive ..