Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Anyone want to help with a mystery?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jan 2009 16:11

Afternoon all, I have a bit of a mystery thats still driving me crazy.

Stanley Malcolm Robert Gardner, born 25th August 1888 in Broadwell to parents William James and Martha (nee Large). The 3rd of 4 children.
1891 census shows them living in Aldsworth, Glos, and 1901 in Cowley, Oxford.
In 1909 on xmas day, he marries Priscilla Shepherd (daughter of Isaac and Mary) in Littlemore, Oxford.
In 1913 he starts employment for the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford and takes temporary leave from 1915 - 1919 at which time he is serving for the RFA.
His address at this point is 12 Sidney Street, Oxford.
He re-commences employment when he is releaved from service (earning the British War and Victory Medals). At some point he takes up a residential post at the museum, but I believe that Priscilla remains in Sidney Street.
In 1947 he is listed at the witness to his mothers death in Nazareth House, Oxford. His address is given as the Museum.
He retires after 48 years employment in 1961.
Thats the last trace of him.
Priscilla died in the January of 1968, and there is no mention of Stanley in the newspaper, nor did he purchase the grave, nor is he buried with her.
The grave was purchased by her brother, who is also related by marriage to Stanleys sister-in-law.

I can find no trace of Stanley after his retirement in 1961 and to be honest, its driving me barmy! Hes not getting the better of me!!

There are no children listed on his signup sheets for the RFA.

Any suggestions / help etc more than gratefully received.

Karen

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jan 2009 16:22

Have you checked electoral lists for Priscilla's address between 1961 and her death..... Unlikely that Stanley moved back there, but it would be a later sighting.
Was there a write-up in the paper on his retirement?
It might tell of his planned location.

Gwyn

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jan 2009 16:22

As they were not living together do you think they separated/divorced?

do you know if there were any children from the marriage?

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Jan 2009 16:24

Is the museum still in existence? As he worked there for so long are they likely to have any information on him?

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jan 2009 16:29

Gwyn - I didnt know where to go to get my hands on old electoral rolls, I think I tried finding out once before and failed.
Didnt think to check the newspaper regarding his retirement! Good thinking.

Ann - she was listed as the wife of stanley on her death certificate. - he is listed as a retired museum attendant.
The museum does still exist, have been in contact with them. They have given me the quotes from the yearly records, and it just states his retirement after 48 years service. He is mentioned on a few other occassions, for promotions.
No children that I can find a trace of. I cant track down which church held her funeral service for more information, and the cemetaries dept only know who purchased the grave, nothing more.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 28 Jan 2009 16:35

Old lists will be in a main library or archives local to the address.
If you don't live nearby you could try e mailing the library there.
Some will help with this sort of search, ..some won't.
Some charge, ..some don't.
The lists are searched by address, so details from the certificates are vital.

Gwyn

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jan 2009 16:38

Brilliant, thanks Gwyn, will try getting in contact with the local library.

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jan 2009 18:25

Am going to the local record office tomorrow to beg for help! lol

maggiewinchester

maggiewinchester Report 28 Jan 2009 19:17

The Ashmolean is still there:
http://www.ashmolean.org/

Here's a list of contacts for the museum:
http://www.ashmolean.org/contact/

Here's the local library:

http://www.oxford.gov.uk/community/libraries.cfm

maggie

Karen

Karen Report 28 Jan 2009 20:56

Thanks Maggie, have already been in contact with the museum regarding his employment.
The local library dont hold the electoral rolls, they are at the record office apparently, which luckily is at the end of my road.

Karen

Karen Report 29 Jan 2009 12:21

Would anywhere else hold the electoral rolls that anyone knows of? The record office is closed for stocktaking for a few weeks.