Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Searching by Street Address?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Jan 2009 19:58

My GG Grandmother was born illegitimately as Mary Wall to a Sarah Walker, no father named but presumeably a Wall. She was registered "Mary Wall Walker" in the BMD database.

She was born in 1883 and I have her in the 1891 census and 1901 census living with a Watts family. In 1901 she is listed as their servant.

What I am trying to do is find out who her mother is, as she wasn't living with Sarah Walker in either census.

What I know is that Sarah Walker was a domestic servant in 1883, and probably lived in 19 Waterbeer Street, Exeter which is where Mary was born. The birth certificate is also signed by an "S Shepherd" who is the Occupier of 19 Waterbeer street. I assume Sarah was the Shepherds servant.

There are lots of Shepherds around the area and I have little to narrow them down aside from street address so I was hoping I could search to see who was at their address in 1881 and 1891, and then maybe have a look to see if Sarah lived with them in either census or if there were any Walls lurking around the neighbourhood.

Bit of a longshot, but it's all I have to go on, otherwise my research into this line is at an end.

Thanks for any advice!

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Jan 2009 20:15

Certainly possible, her youth makes it quite likely as well (silly young servant girls, falling for rascals and all that) I just need some kind of link to be certain. How did servants move from one place to the next, I wonder? Word of mouth I suppose.

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 29 Jan 2009 20:21

1881 England Census
about Edward Newcombe
Name: Edward Newcombe
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1833
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Ellen
Where born: Exeter, Devon, England

Civil Parish: Exeter St Paul
County/Island: Devon

Street address: 19 Waterbeer St
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View Image

Registration district: Exeter
Sub registration district: Exeter Western
ED, institution, or vessel: 11
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Edward Newcombe 48
Ellen Newcombe 50
Ellen Newcombe 16
Maria Newcombe 14
Albert Newcombe 12
Louisa Newcombe 9
Ann Newcombe 5

Rose

Sarah

Sarah Report 29 Jan 2009 20:26

Thanks both, that could be the Shepherds, they certainly didnt live at that address in 1881, and I think I have found the same family in 1891 living somewhere different - so much moving about! How frustrating.

I wonder where Sarah went? I have found a possible match to this Irish Sarah Walker in 1891 but living in London. Maybe she moved away to earn money for her daughter? Hmmm....probably never know!