Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Do I have to buy a certificate?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 30 Jan 2009 20:32

Thanks to some great people on this board, I've found the marriage of some relatives George King and Elsie Chapman in June 1916. I've since looked on the 1901 census to trace Elsie back to her parents but it brings up 3 born in Reading, Berks. Is buying a certificate the only way to find out which one is my Elsie?

Stephanie

Stephanie Report 30 Jan 2009 20:35

its your safest option anyway so that you can confirm that they are the right ones or you could end up going for the wrong family, unless the marriage records are available online somewhere

Christine

Christine Report 30 Jan 2009 20:45

Thanks very much. I thought that might be the case.

Alison

Alison Report 30 Jan 2009 21:22

Definately buy the certificate, I've spent the past few months researching the wrong person because I was too cheap to buy a birth certificate!

Heather

Heather Report 30 Jan 2009 21:55

Its the only way you will know you have the right person. As already said, you can end up spending literally years following the wrong line if you dont spend the £7. Apart from that, the excitement of waiting for that certificate is fantastic. You will get a lot of detail apart from just the fathers names.