Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

DNA swab result

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JEH123

JEH123 Report 31 Jan 2009 21:44

This is for those who would like to buy a DNA swab but are not sure as to what benefit it would have and are hesitating. I wanted to share my result. Well not exactly the actual information but what I did receive for my money.

The reason I took a DNA swab was for my FIL to find out what his fathers surname could be. His Mother is named on his birth certificate but not his Father. His Mother married a Nelson and this is my FIL middle name. His surname is his Mothers surname.

So the question remained who was his Father?

I sent of for a paternal test which cost £68 once converted from us dollars.

The results I recieved back consisted of a pie chart with a possible likelihood of surnames. Interestingly for the surname Nelson there is an 8% chance of my FIL being connected. Other surnames (only those there is a chance of connection)are given in percentage terms, and there are only a small amount of surnames with an 8% chance. A small number of surnames have less than 8% chance.

Also given is a list of names of possible matches with other people. Interestingly my FIL matches identically with another person. It tells how many generations there is a link. In this case within 3 generations. It also lists other people who may link but then there may be 1 number out from your own in the sequence. The person who my FIL matched with I contacted. This is done confidentially. Although a map gives a rough location to the person but no address or email is shown. Its all done confidentially. I'm awaiting a reply.
The other people who my FIL closely matched it also showed how far linked they were in generations. The second person on the list connected 6 generations back.

And finally a result is given about where your DNA descended from in the far distant past. My FIL descends from the Artisans.

So the question remains was it worth doing? I think so. If a lot of people submit DNA results and a database is collected over time, its amazing what we could find out about ourselves as a people. Maybe anyone who has missing Mothers or Fathers on their certificates could find out from this database when all else has failed.

If anyone is interested in the outcome I will let you know. In other words was I sucsessful or not.

Janet

Updated 15th feb 2009

Libby22

Libby22 Report 31 Jan 2009 22:51

My fingers are crossed for you Janet. I hope the contact you've written to gets back to you.

Yes please! do let us know the outcome.

Netty

Netty Report 31 Jan 2009 23:04

Janet, very interesting, thank you. Keeping my fingers crossed that you get good results, i too would be interested to know the outcome.

Netty x.

CLK

CLK Report 31 Jan 2009 23:15

OOOHHH Very interested!!!! Please let us know what happens, fingers crossed for you all, may be considering this myself.... good luck x x x x

Alison

Alison Report 31 Jan 2009 23:40

I'm so pleased you posted this. I'm considering doing this to see if I can find our my father's grandfather. I hope the person you have contacted gets in touch. BTW how long does the whole process take?

Alison x

JEH123

JEH123 Report 1 Feb 2009 10:42

I think it took a month from the time I sent the swab sample til the time I recieved a reply. The reply comes via ancestry, not by post. They do say it may take 3 to 4 weeks but mine arrived quicker than that.

Gladly I will let you know what comes of this.

Janet x