Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRO births refs with a A at the end?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Enigma

Enigma Report 1 Feb 2009 16:41

Would anyone on here know the significance of a birth ref with no mother's details and the ref no. is followed by an A? Would it mean adopted? I have asked GR but they didn't know. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Feb 2009 16:43

It could possibly mean adopted. If you can give details so we can have a look at the reference it would be easier to tell.

Kath. x

Potty

Potty Report 1 Feb 2009 17:02

Mother's maiden names are only listed in the index from 1911 onwards. If the "a" is next to the page number this usually means that it was a late addition to the register.

Enigma

Enigma Report 1 Feb 2009 17:10

Hi Kath, thank you for your quick reply. As an example take the page of births from the 4th quarter of 1943 covering surnames beginning Ra. There are 2 on this page a male one that gives a mother's surname and an 'A' after the GRO No. Then further down a female one with no mother's details and an 'a' after the GRO no. I have recently received some info that leads me to believe I have either a half brother or sister born in 1942 or 3. These 2 i have mentioned maybe nothing to do with me but if the 'A' or 'a' means adopted then I would need to look all through the alphabet for those years to see how many adoptees I would need to search through!!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Feb 2009 17:19

Have had a look now and I don't think these are adopted records. As Potty has already said, I think these are late additions to the register where an extra page has had to be used.

To be certain you could ask the registrar at the relevant register office.

Kath. x

Enigma

Enigma Report 1 Feb 2009 17:25

Hi Potty, thanks for your info. If the 'A' or 'a' means late addition then that ruins my adoption theory. But at least it's one avenue tried and ruled out.

Enigma

Enigma Report 1 Feb 2009 17:26

Thank you Kath for your info too, much appreciated.