Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

finding a grave.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Audrey

Audrey Report 2 Feb 2009 15:19

is there anyway of locating where a person is buried if you only know where they died, apart from looking into all cemetries in the area?

nuttybongo

nuttybongo Report 2 Feb 2009 15:56

hi there,

You can check the local parish records held in the local archives or library near where they died, its sometimes easier than going round the cemetries, although a lot can be found from a cemetary as i found out, but be dissapointed too, most of mine didn't have gravestones. Are there a lot of cemetaries in the area you are looking? We had to look in Hull and the cemetaries are huge, would take a life time to look round, luckily the local crem had records held on their computers and they could find the place where they were buried, who is in the plot and they gave us a card too so that we could keep something, as the grave is unmarked. Hope that helps. If you need any more just let me know.
thanks

Michael

Michael Report 2 Feb 2009 21:07

I have found that the cemetaries people in Newcastle and Cardiff for example were very helpful in locating graves for modest search fees.

Mike S

Madmeg

Madmeg Report 2 Feb 2009 21:22

I have found several cemeteries willing to give you information free of charge - both churches and municipal cemeteries.

Margaret

Angela

Angela Report 2 Feb 2009 23:33

hi there you can ask the local council to do a grave search but they charge around 25.00 and it could take a few days, look on their website for charges under funerals and cemetaries hope this helps.

Joy

Joy Report 2 Feb 2009 23:40

You can contact the bereavement services department at the local council. Many councils have them computerised since a certain date. Happy hunting.