Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Baker - 1804

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 5 Feb 2009 10:06

I have been searching for what seems like ages to find out anything about the parents and siblings of William Baker. He was born c1804 in Bow, Devon. He married Emma Jenkins in 1835 in Old Charlton in Kent. On later censuses he appears with wife and children as William Baker, so I have logically assumed that this was his name.

They had a daughter, Emma Susan, or Emma Susanna, or Emma S according to what you read, in 1836. I can see where the Emma came from, but thought the Susanna could possibly come from his side of the family.

While looking at the IGI yesterday I suddenly realised that there are three records for her. Two are submitted are give the same info:

EMMA SUSANNA BAKER Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
09 MAY 1836
Christening:
29 MAY 1836 St Ann, Limehouse, London, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLIAM BAKER Family
Mother: EMMA

But then there is this extracted record:

EMMA S. BAKER Pedigree
Female

Event(s):
Birth:
09 MAY 1836 Limehouse, London, England
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: JOHN WILLIAM Family

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Do I now assume that the father is actually JOHN WILLIAM and should I now start looking for a baptism under this name? Have I been chasing the wrong name for two years?

To cap it all, also on the IGI is the following baptism:

JOHN BAKER Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
28 JUN 1808 West Worlington, Devon, England
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: WILLM BAKER Family
Mother: SUSANNA

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Am I assuming too much do you think?

Pam

Pam Report 5 Feb 2009 10:14

Treat SUBMITTED entries with caution. Extracted are taken from Parish Registers.

Gee

Gee Report 5 Feb 2009 10:16

Hi

you might be better looking for his death certiifcate and that will give you his fathers name and the person who reported the death.

sometimes you just have to 'waste' money on the wrong certificates until you get the right one!

Do you acces to ancestry? Family search are not always correct

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 5 Feb 2009 10:38

Thanks Pam and Ginny. I have been searching for his death cert as well for years and have already bought at least 4 or 5 incorrect ones, but perhaps if I now try looking for a John William Baker, who knows!

Potty

Potty Report 5 Feb 2009 12:48

Two points to be aware of:
1) English death certs do not give father's name

2) Although IGI extracted records are taken from parish records, there can be mistranscriptions.

Did Emma marry? Her marriage cert should give you her father's name.

Joy

Joy Report 5 Feb 2009 13:16

You could try contacting the OPC (online parish clerk) for Bow -

http://genuki.cs.ncl.ac.uk/DEV/Bow/
Genealogy
The Online Parish Clerk scheme's representative for this parish is Maureen Carroll, who invites queries and lookup requests. (Baptisms, marriages, burials 1731-1837.)

+*+blossom In Essex+*+

+*+blossom In Essex+*+ Report 5 Feb 2009 14:06

Thanks Potty - yes, I'm aware that death certs do not give the father's name. Unfortunately they married in 1835 so no joy there either! Speaking of Joy..................thank you very much for the parish clerk link for Bow in Devon. I think I'll give this a go. There seem to be two places called Bow in Devon that are miles apart which was another of my problems as I'm not sure which Bow William Baker came from.

Joy

Joy Report 5 Feb 2009 14:11

You're welcome.