Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help needed WW1

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

jacks

jacks Report 5 Feb 2009 19:30

Hello there, Is there someone that can help me please, I have been trying to trace my gt grandfather who served in WW1 it has been quite difficult as he has a very common name(george thompson) with no result. Anyway i recently visited my grandad & he agreeded for me to root through my late nans bits & pieces that she had kept over the years & i came accross this piece of paper with what i think i have been looking for, but i do not know what the abbreviations mean? it says...

GNR Thompson
"D" Troop Right Sec:
80/81 Battery
31st TRG, Regt. R.A.

I think this is when he first joined the army as it says on his married cert sergeant R.G.A
any help appreciated.
Thankyou
Jackie

Alan

Alan Report 5 Feb 2009 19:36

Gnr...is gunner
in 31st Training Regiment, Royal Artillery
..not sure about R G A

Where was he born

jacks

jacks Report 5 Feb 2009 19:41

Thanks AlanOnTheWirral much appreciated
Jackie

mgnv

mgnv Report 5 Feb 2009 19:41

Royal Garrison Artillery, I think

jacks

jacks Report 5 Feb 2009 19:43

He was born in Rochester Kent in 1892, it also says on the paper Kinmel Park Camp, RHYL, North Wales
Jackie

jacks

jacks Report 5 Feb 2009 19:44

thankyou mgnv
jackie

Alan

Alan Report 5 Feb 2009 20:14

Name: Alfred Henry George Thompson
Regiment or Corps: Royal Garrison Artillery
Regimental number: 50448
If I have the right man.
Been looking at Medal Roll index.
He was awarded Victory & Empire medals (you may already have these)but on this file is an application on 4/11/1923 for medals to be posted on. Doesnt say by whom, only an address which looks like No: 8 Pensily Road, Catford, SE 6.
Hope this is of use.

jacks

jacks Report 5 Feb 2009 20:31

Thanks for looking AlanOnTheWirral, unfortunately i think its the wrong man, his address at time of married was 31 nine elms grove Gravesend & on married cert says sergeant RGA, (married in gravesend kent) i have been told that he has a citation for a VC but again cant find anything
Jackie