Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Using Gene's reunited when the family tree is in m

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Maria

Maria Report 7 Feb 2009 11:32

Hi everyone!

I've become a member of GenesReunited, UK, but have also logged onto GenesReunited South Africa. When I search in the South African one it seems to always bring up the UK answers.

So, when you search a name on Genes Reunited does it search all the international Genes Reunited information or is there something I'm missing to search a country at a time?

Many thanks,
maria

Heather

Heather Report 7 Feb 2009 11:53

I didnt know there were regional ones :)

I think you will find the trees cover the whole world membership?

If you want to search for someone in a particular country you can use search trees and just enter a place of birth in that? May be Im not following what you mean.

Read the Tips for Newbies thread, Ill bump it up for you.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Feb 2009 14:09

There is, as far as I know, no difference whatsoever in the data content or search options between the various sites. It is only the internet access point, page titles and things such as adverts that are different.

I have both .com and co.za open at the moment and can't see any difference

Maria

Maria Report 7 Feb 2009 17:06

Thanks for the responses, much appreciated.

I was kind of disappointed, I thought I'd be offered searches/guidance that was South Africa specific when I opened the .co.za one.

But I'm new to this game so I'll try and make the information available work for me as best I can and I'm pleased to know I'm not actually missing anything.

I don't think I'm going to get very far with the South African one anyway, the information we have to go on right now is quite limited. I like a challenge anyway. :-)

Off to read the tips now....

Cheers!

maria