Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Families related to each other?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 Feb 2009 19:39

Birchanger-Takeley-Hatfield Broad Oak-Bishops Stortford
My ancestor was born in Hatfield Broad Oak and his parents and some siblings were born in Dunmow. He had a somewhat uncommon name: Mumford. I am researching the 1740-1840 time period. There were Mumfords born in all of the above cities. I cannot tie my family with any Mumfords from the above towns.

Can I believe that some/most of the Mumfords in that area were connected to my branch? Or, could it just be coincidence that they were in the same area?

I am interested in hearing other's experiences with their ancestors. Have they found that some/most of the people in the surrounding area were distantly related to their ancestors? Thank you.

Amanda2003

Amanda2003 Report 8 Feb 2009 19:51

Hello Lisa ,

You might find the link below useful in finding the distribution of the name you are researching .

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/Surnames.aspx

I have the surname Clissett in my tree and I'm convinced that all people with that surname are connected somewhere along the line . It is taking forever to unravel them all .

Amanda

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 8 Feb 2009 20:06

Thank you very much, Amanda. I will check the site now. I wish you the best of luck in finding a connection with your family.
-----------
Amanda, although my ancestors had left England (for Canada) by 1881, it is still quite interesting to see where the surnames were in each region. Thank you again.