Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth certs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SpanishEyes

SpanishEyes Report 9 Feb 2009 11:02

Can anyone help me?

I have a birth certificate for my self, I was born in 1946 yet the birthcert states under "when registered" Third June 1962 on the authority of the Registrar General. Even in the top section states 1962 birth !!!

How do I get a copy of the "before " certificate. I think my mother did this when she and I went to the West Ham Register Office and she added a name for my father. What I want is the origib=nal cert. Any help realy important to me

Many thanks

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 9 Feb 2009 11:30

Is it possible that your birth was never registered at the time. Where a cert says "On the authority of the Registrar", it can sometimes mean that.

Have you tried to find an entry in the index for 1946?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 9 Feb 2009 11:48

Your original birth certificate may have been registered in your mother's maiden name.

Have you had a look under this name to see if there is an entry?

Kath. x

Golfman

Golfman Report 9 Feb 2009 15:29

It could be as someone has already said that the birth was never registered in 1946.

I was under the impression that If it was registered and then subsequently amended that the original certificate would be annotated as such on the righthand side with a reference number to look up in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE)

regards - Tony

Golfman

Golfman Report 9 Feb 2009 15:37

Hi

The system of corrected entries may only be a system used in Scotland

KeithInFujairah

KeithInFujairah Report 9 Feb 2009 15:41

Brandyman, the same system applies in England and Wales as well, any amendment is annotated with a number at the side of the cert indicating the amendment register number.

Deborah

Deborah Report 9 Feb 2009 21:18

Hi
I have this problem with a birth certificate. It is because the fathers name has been added or altered at a later date. You have to write to the Registrar General for the original. But don't hope for more than a letter explaining they don't seem to give a copy of the original.