Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW DO I GET A BIRTH CIRTIFICATE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SNOWFLAKE

SNOWFLAKE Report 9 Feb 2009 13:38

I AM TRYING TO GET A BIRTH CIRTIFICATE BUT BECAUSE IT'S NOT OVER 50 YEARS AGO I NEED HIS FARTHER'S NAME WHICH IS UNKNOWN CAN ANY ONE HELP

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Feb 2009 13:40

Is the birth registered in both parents names ie the mmn is different from the name the birth is registered in

SNOWFLAKE

SNOWFLAKE Report 9 Feb 2009 13:42

NO ONLY HIS MUM'S

SNOWFLAKE

SNOWFLAKE Report 9 Feb 2009 13:43

SHE WAS NEVER MARRIED

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 9 Feb 2009 13:59

Could you type in that box father un named

Janet 693215

Janet 693215 Report 9 Feb 2009 14:53

I'd put unknown in the father's box.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 9 Feb 2009 15:00

I think it's not so much that his name is not known, ...it's the fact that it's within the 50 year period.
It's to protect from identity fraud.
The office which issued the original cert might help if you know enough details.

Gwyn

Golfman

Golfman Report 9 Feb 2009 15:04

Having tried to get a birth certificate from the GRO for a relation less than 50 years old I was told that additional information was required such as you mention.

Like you I was unable to provide that information. After makng further enquiries and talking to the local regisrars office where the birth was registered I was informed that I could order the birth certificate with just the normal Name, District, Year, Vol and Page number details.

Apparently, the GRO now being part of the governments Identity & Passport service has strict rules in place making it difficult to get a birth certifcate for someone less than 50 yeras old. The local register office does not have these rules making the GRO riules a bit pointless.
A case of senseless bureacracy by the looks of it.

SNOWFLAKE

SNOWFLAKE Report 9 Feb 2009 16:04

THANKS YOU HAVE BEEN A BIG HELP TO ME