Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 10 Feb 2009 17:23

How would someone get from Highgate, London to Stechford in Birmingham in 1877 .
would there have been trains running at that time of day
or would it have been coach and horses ,my Grandmother
was born in Stechford but the family lived in London .
Hazel

Kate

Kate Report 10 Feb 2009 17:35

I would imagine by train - I think the railways were pretty much up and running by the 1850s in a lot of areas, especially somewhere like Birmingham.

Staffs Col

Staffs Col Report 10 Feb 2009 17:36

Quite possibly they came by rail. Both Curzon Street and New Street railway stations in Birmingham had train services from London on a daily basis with Birmingham New Street becoming the main station for London services in 1854. By the way journey time then was 4 and half hours...not much slower than today!

Lady Cutie

Lady Cutie Report 10 Feb 2009 17:43

Thank you Kate
and thank you Col .
i really didnt know whether the trains were running then or not .

she had two children in Stechford , my grandmother and her brother
all the others were born in London . and i just cant find a birth entry for either of them it's so frustrating but thanks for your help
Hazel

Kate

Kate Report 10 Feb 2009 18:09

You're quite right, Col! As I recall, it used to take me around three hours to get from Leicester to Preston when I was at uni (and that's not including a 25 min walk to Leicester station and a 25 minute drive once I got off the train in Lancashire!).

I bet they weren't much quicker back then . . .

Just thinking, they may have gone by canal but if I remember correctly from history, the canals were mainly used in the 1790s to 1820s because the roads were so bad and the railway hadn't come in, but they weren't as popular once the roads had been improved and the early rail network was in place.