Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Keeping track of addresses

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 11 Feb 2009 11:54

Does anyone have a good system of keeping track of addresses where their ancestors lived? I would like to have a system which would allow me to easily check if anyone else that I already know of lived in the same street, or area, when I find a new address, but am struggling to devise one which does not involve an excessive amount of extra inputting!

None of the Family History programms which I have looked at seem to include a specific function for this. I currently use Legacy, which I love, but can find no way of doing this. I just list the address in the notes section at present. All I can think of is a spreadsheet, and I have a nasty feeling that that is what I shall end up with. (Moans, oh no, not yet another spreadsheet!) Does anyone else have a good system?

Tina

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 11 Feb 2009 13:51

Hi Tina

I'd suggest doing a spreadsheet as you can easily sort them and find them when you want them!

I'm planning on doing one very shortly as I've got addresses popping up here there and everywhere now!

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 11 Feb 2009 13:52

I'm trying to sort this out at the moment too.

I think it will be a spreadsheet as cannot see an easy way to do this otherwise. Maybe an A-Z index book? But at least with a spreadsheet I can sort by family and/or date if I want to so think it might be more flexible.

Jill

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 11 Feb 2009 14:02

If you've got too many on, you could always group them in tabs by county or something as well!

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 11 Feb 2009 14:12

Hi Tina,
in legacy In the location master list you can do a sort, ie if you have

11 anystreet, Hampstead, Middlesex, England
23 anystreet, Southend, Essex, England
19 anystreet, Hampstead, Middlesex, Engand

you could sort/move position 2 to 1 and get

Hampstead, 11 anystreet, Middlesex, England
Hampstead, 19 anystreet, Middlesex, England
Southend, anystreet, Essex, England

you can sort up to 9 positions.
hope that makes sense

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 11 Feb 2009 14:22

Hi Tina

I think if you are sticking with Legacy then a spreadsheet is probably the way to do it, I got Family Historian for Christmas and after being a bit undecided about it I now think it is great, you can custom the trees, fact sheets, reports anyway you like and the most useful thing is a querys list, there are standard queries like Age at Death, Marriage, number of children, or ones you make up yourself, or download from the Family Historian User Group site, like where everyone was in each census, or addresses, etc. You can then put all these different things in a spreadsheet and sort them anyway you like, I use this a lot.

You can download a free 30 day trial and try it out if you like, like I said I was in two minds but am glad now I changed from Family Tree Maker, Family Historian has everything I need "under one roof".

Marilyn

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat

TinaTheCheshirePussyCat Report 11 Feb 2009 17:23

Thanks for all your suggestions everyone.

Gary - I am not sure how to get the addresses into the Master Location List in the first place? There doesn't seem to be a space for address. Where would I put them in.

Marilyn - when you say you put the different things in a spreadsheet, does that mean that you can export them direct from Family Historian to a spreadsheet (which would save me keying everything in twice)? I love Legacy and am not sure I could cope with changing, but might have to look at it if it is as good as you say.

Otherwise, it looks like a spreadsheet it will have to be. Many thanks for all the help.

Tina

GaryOnTheAlgarve

GaryOnTheAlgarve Report 11 Feb 2009 18:37

Hi Tina,
what version of legacy are you using in version 7 Whenever you enter an address, in birth, christening, death, or any events it autamatically puts it in the master location list. to see the list go to view / master lists / location

Gary