Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Complete Birth Index on Ancestry

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 11 Feb 2009 13:17

Am I going mad. I can't see how you can search the birth index on Ancestry for 1842 quarter by quarter as I have done many times before. I can only see complete marriages and deaths. I can't find my ancestor using freebmd so decided the only way to find him is to search 'manually' year by year.
Elaine

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 11 Feb 2009 13:29

I already have BMD on my home page but when you go to the BMD page the complete births are missing
Elaine

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Feb 2009 13:39

Click on the Partial FreeBMD index births and towards the bottom of the box (under where it says Mother's Maiden Name) there is a link to "if searching for births after 1915". Click on that.

You can then put in the name and a year and it takes you straight to it.

Kath. x

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 11 Feb 2009 13:48

Hello Kath
Thankyou for your help. That just gives you a list of possible names I wanted the year and quarters that you look through page by page. I have asked ancestry but I expect it will take a while for them to get back to me.
Elaine

Heather

Heather Report 11 Feb 2009 14:04

Who are you looking for Elaine in case anyone has an idea to help

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Feb 2009 14:10

Elaine,

The years have all been transcribed now and you can't look through qtr. by qtr. anymore. If the name does not come up then it isn't there.

Try going to the year you were born yourself and you will find you are transcribed (hopefully).

Kath. x

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Feb 2009 14:22

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
You can search here very much the same as you could before.
As an example
bro* ist qtr 1842 Ware
William Henry Brodie 1842 Jan-Feb-Mar Ware Hertfordshire

Clara Brown 1842 Jan-Feb-Mar Ware Hertfordshire
Just look at the images
Please remember that compulsory birth registration did not start until July 1875.

Julie

Julie Report 11 Feb 2009 15:46

Ancestry have now joined both the complete indexs together so if you go to the 1984- 2005 births click on that & you'll get 1916 - 2005

Why did I start this?

Why did I start this? Report 11 Feb 2009 17:04

Thank you everyone for your replies. I do not know why Ancestry have changed their site it certainly is not for the better. Unless they have transcribed the whole of the BMD your ancestor will not appear. Sometimes you need to look through the pages quarter by quarter.
Sorry I have only just got back to everyone but my Aunt has been taken to hospital and I have been to my mothers to find out what had happened.
The person I was looking for was George Morris 1842 Hollington Sussex.
Elaine

Lesley M

Lesley M Report 11 Feb 2009 17:53

You can still search up to 1916 quarter by quarter. From the Ancestry home page, select the "England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915" option. Then scroll down and you can select the year you are interested in, then the quarter and finally the first letter of surname.

Diane

Diane Report 11 Feb 2009 18:02

I am also at a loss so this has helped me as well
Thanks all
Diane

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Feb 2009 20:18

If the worst comes to the worst any childs cert will give same answers.
EG
John Morris 1850 Oct-Nov-Dec Hastings (1837-1977)
Henry Morris 1848 Oct-Nov-Dec Hastings (1837-1977)
Ellen Morris 1855 Apr-May-Jun Hastings (1837-1977) Sussex
Ellen Morris William,
Jane abt 1856 Hastings, Sussex, England Daughter Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
View Record
George Morris William,
Jane abt 1842 Hollington, Sussex, England Son Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
View Record
Henry Morris William,
Jane abt 1849 Hastings, Sussex, England Son Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
View Record
James Morris William,
Jane abt 1845 Hollington, Sussex, England Son Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
View Record
Jane Morris William abt 1813 Catsfield, Sussex, England Wife Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
View Record
John Morris William,
Jane abt 1851 Hastings, Sussex, England Son Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
View Record
William Morris Jane abt 1811 Crowhurst, Sussex, England Head Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex
View Record
William Morris William,
Jane abt 1839 Hollington, Sussex, England Son Hastings St Mary in The Castle, Sussex

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Feb 2009 20:24

marriage????

Jane Cramp 1838 Battle Sussex, East Sussex

William Morris

Thelma

Thelma Report 11 Feb 2009 20:27

JANE CRAMP - International Genealogical Index
Gender: Female Christening: 31 MAY 1812 Catsfield, Sussex, England

Kate

Kate Report 11 Feb 2009 22:18

Just adding to this to say they appear to have done the same thing with the death index now!