Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stoke On Trent Records Office

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 11 Feb 2009 13:45

Hi Everyone

I'm planning on going down to stoke on trent records office in Hanley in a couple of weeks.

Just wondering if anyone's been?

Not been before so was wondering what I need to do? What I should take with me etc?

Thanks

Natasha

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 11 Feb 2009 14:37

Hi Natasha

Not been to Stoke Record Office myself but have been to quite a few others. Take with you two forms of identification with your signature and address on,. as they give you a membership card, which you can use in most Record Offices
Try and take as much information about your ancestors as you can, you will get addicted reading through the parish records, plenty of paper and pencils.

Some offices let you take photos with a digital camera, some free, some charge you so much a day, or you can get photcopies.

Also it is a good idea to phone and book first, hope this helps.

Marilyn

Jeeberella

Jeeberella Report 11 Feb 2009 14:51

hi marilyn

that's fab thank you.

Might have a slight issue with the ID, I've only got my driving license that's got my address and signature on :S

I lost my passport when I moved in August!

But that's great thanks, jsut wanted to be a bit more prepared before I ring them!

MarilynB

MarilynB Report 11 Feb 2009 14:54

You will probably get away with a bank card, phone bill etc., they dont both have to have your signature AND your address on, just ask to make sure when you phone up. If you google Staffordshire Record Office there is plenty of information there, and reading that you may just need one form of identification.

Happy searching, you will get addicted, just like me lol.

Marilyn