Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

This is the house that jack built, rented ?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 11 Feb 2009 18:04

Is there any way of finding out about property ownership, wills and inheritances etc back in early 1900's England?
Could I for instance find out if a relative owned a home or rented it and if so who let it? Could I also find copies of old wills?

Diane

Diane Report 11 Feb 2009 23:18

Bump
I would also like to know how to find out about home ownership
sorry for the hijack
Diane

Diddydoris

Diddydoris Report 12 Feb 2009 00:14

Look at the Electoral Registers in the local Records office, this would give you details as to whether they own or rent.

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!)

Jill 2011 (aka Warrior Princess of Cilla!) Report 12 Feb 2009 00:16

Wills would be a good place to start. You need a death date - and you apply to the Probate Registry (at York I think but someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Sometimes you can find snippets about property ownership in the London Gazette but not sure how far the coverage spreads.

Jill

Christine

Christine Report 12 Feb 2009 11:05

If its a rural property, you might be able to find it on a Tithe map (which I think might be found at the local records office). I found 2 of mine in a booklet from a local History Society. They had reproduced a Tithe map from the 1830s, which showed all the houses in a small hamlet along with the fields and farms. The ownership of the houses was shown as well as the names of the people renting them - including my ggg.grandparents and my gggg. grandparents!