Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Saving money if searching in Edinburgh

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tombul

Tombul Report 11 Feb 2009 20:15

If you ever go to Edinburgh to research Scottish records you can save a fortune by instead of paying £17.00 for a day in New Register House you go to the Central library on George IV Bridge.

I used to work there and not a lot of people know that in the Edinburgh Room they hold all Census records, OPR'S and 'historical' BDM's for the Edinburgh district. Also in the Scottish Room they hold the same records for the rest of Scotland.

They are totally free to search and you can print of records from the fiche reader for pennies.

There are also some wonderful 'census type' books written by social reformers at the time, also all the rates books, telephone directories, electoral roll books, books from all the childrens homes in the area circa 1890 with photos of the young 'apprentices'. Books on monumental inscriptions,university alumni etc etc.

It is an invaluable source for records and totally free.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Feb 2009 21:04

Wow ! That sounds great.

If we ever go north of the border to further our research on OH's tree, I'll have to remember this.

Thank you.

Gwyn

Helen

Helen Report 11 Feb 2009 22:26

Nudging for reference.

victoria meldrew

victoria meldrew Report 11 Feb 2009 22:32

Does it hold Catholic records.

Tombul

Tombul Report 12 Feb 2009 20:03

Not sure if the Library holds catholic records. I would phone them and ask, they are very helpful. I know that the National Archives which is free hold many Catholic records.