Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage page number missing

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 12 Feb 2009 01:03

Hi, I've been searching through marriage records for John Clark and Mary Ann Haines. Found them both by name... but records read:
JOHN CLARK 4th Qtr Vol 3b page 443 Oundle. (which is in Northampton)
MARY ANN HAINES 4th Qtr. Vol 3b Northampton. But no page number.
As anybody come across this before or am just fated with bad luck..

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 12 Feb 2009 01:20

You didn't say the year. I assume this is it?

Marriages Dec 1877
Haines Mary Ann Northampton 3b ?

Makes no difference though because John's reference is for a different district and there are no missing brides:

Marriages Dec 1877
Bellairs Emma Oundle 3b 443
Broughton Thomas Oundle 3b 443
Clark John Oundle 3b 443
HEAD Alice Oundle 3b 443

Rose

GeordieLad

GeordieLad Report 12 Feb 2009 01:29

I've come across several cases where the transcriber cannot transcribe the page or, worse, confidently mistranscribes it. What I've never come across is a case where the index simply doesn't give a page number, as you have here!

How about John Clarke (with an 'e'):

Northampton 3b 201, same quarter

(FWIW I too would dismiss Oundle)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2009 04:23

After all entries on freebm are a tab Info and, usually, an icon spectacles

Click on Info, and you can get the name(s) of the transcriber(s) ........ two in this case.

Click on the spectacles, and you can look at the original from which they did the transcription .... scroll down until you see View Original

In this case, the page number is missing from the index itself .......... so a mistake was made right back when the entries were made at GRO

I think you're just ill fated with this family!!!

I would also dismiss John Clark registered Oundle, but the John Clarke with an e could be promising!

sylvia