Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1911 census, Military

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 12 Feb 2009 09:45

I have found Charles Palmer on the 1911 census at Farnham, and he is military rather than household. He was born in S.Norwood/Croydon in 1890

Is there anyway to find if he was killed in WW!? I have looked on the lists and there are a large number of Charles Palmers and I don't know how to find if he was one of them.

My mother always said that after her father was killed in WW1 an uncle offered to adopted her and take her to Canada with his wife.

The problem with that is that I have trace all her uncles, her dad had one brother who stayed in England and her mum had 8 children according to the 1911 of who only 3 were still alive then. One was my grandmother, the second was Uncle Fred who we know stayed in the UK, the 3rd was Uncle Arthur who lived with my grandmother and died in 1927 and I believe he was unmarried.

That leaves Charles Palmer who was the only candidate. He was a step brother of my mother's father. However if he was killed in the war that would rule him out as well.

In 1901, Charles was living in Farnham with his parents, Ernest and Elizabeth Palmer.

Sam

Sam Report 12 Feb 2009 09:52

If he was killied in WWI then he will be listed on the Commonwealth Graves Commission website.

www.cwgc.org